Audi Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my a4 tdi 130bhp (awx engine) starts first time in the morning,and maybe start ok for a good 2-3 days without a problem,then suddenly one day in the week the engine will turn for a good 3-4 seconds before it starts? WEIRD
checked all pipes for leaks/splits/cracks and replace fuel filter.Also sometimes when i put my foot down hard it will have a 1 second hesitation then shoot off,throwin a little cloud of black smoke(maybe this is normal)
Also i got 75 miles on 11 quid of fuel last week! local driving,ive heard this is not good,im testing this again this week see what figures i come up with.

What miles should i get on a tenner local driving?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Still not found a cure yet then??? Mine goes in on Monday to have it looked at, im sending it to my local VW garage £60 per hour instead of £110 plus VAT per hour at Audi, if they cure it i will sell you the cure ;)

Fingers crossed because mine is exactly the same as yours, and the mpg thing is the same although im getting 450m to the tank which is more or less the same as you around 80m to a tenner?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks but i really aint looked at mine yet,if you want to help(thats what these forums are for) then do so,but im not paying you for your info,

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow!

well when they do sort it let me know and i will send you a pm of some good info!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi,

Well i had the car intoday - i got the same answer as Audi, quote" theirs no fault codes showing so we dont know were to start"....exactly the same as Audi, they said to me i have to leave it to develop, its possibly the start of a coolent sensor or something like that, but when i took the machenic outside to show him the problem, he thought it might have been the ignition barrel. Anyway i'm no wiser so i will just have to live with it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
its not the ignition barrel for sure,if it was you would have the immobiliser light on the dash flashing,its not the temp sensor,ive changed mine.

Could it be the wiring loom going to the injectors/glowplugs? common on the passat!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ive seen your post on other forums, and an interesting reply from one person was "injector dribbe" or "over fueling", well the only thing i have done is change the timing belt myself, but as far as i remember there wasnt a injector pump sprokect, my smokes quite bad when i boot it, especialy in the dark and you look in the r/v/m- im thinking "my god this kicks out some s**t out".

I reckon its got to be something fuel related, i have had a lot of expriance on merc cdi, and on them if a injector is leaking it wont fire up straight away, and eventualy you need to tow em off to get em to start, so this brings me back to the "injector dribble", i reckon an injector is slowing leaking into the cylinder, hence fuel pressure drop, and the smoking, also i think that because when i crank it over it sometimes tries to fire as if it had air in the system are you with me? Plus if you think about it, that would reduce mpg, since the injector is worn.

Anyone else think the same???

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
CHECKED all my values and they ok,fuel injectors are 100% perfect now what?

Filled up to the top,from shell (86.9 pece per litre) drove nice and nomal(no heavy right foot used) did 100.3 miles,went back to shell cost me 19.00 pounds! to fill up again!

Whats going on,new temp sensor fitted fully serviced,it does take a few seconds to start,but only sometimes weather engine is hot or cold,will this make a difference? plenty of power in the car. Im sure it should of used no more than 10 pounds.

HELP! A4 TDI 130BHP AWX ENGINE 2001 (B6)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Not sure about the fuel economy - but the starting problem maybe something to do with a "fuel priming pump" located somewere near the tank! - i havnt tested mine but it sounds possible. Has your car plenty of power? because if it using loads of fuel then maybe you a turbo problem or summot, is it really smokey?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
put a brand new pump in tank 6 month ago,dont smoke at all and has plenty of power.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Stange, mine does exactly the same thing as yours at starting but the mpg isnt that bad, im going get 550 on this tank full. I would love to know what it is, the dealer told me basicly leave to breakdown and then we can find it!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yep it was my headlight switch, £50 odd quidd and its like a new one now and the mpg has improved and it doesnt smoke as much!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah i noticied you are still having problems because i see your posts in the other forums, how did you find out about the switch?, you ought to keep off the right pedal so hard ;-)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts