1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A4 Tdi
Auto

My speedo only works occasionally, i
t's either working when you start the car in which case it will carry on working until car is switched off.

If at start up it does not work then it will flicker real fast over 0.5 cm...

ANYONE WITH ANY IDEA????????

·
Registered
144 Posts
Well, you have to change the whole instrument cluster, you can't change only the speedo. Of course, this means recoding the new immobiliser and so on. And the cluster itself is quite expensive.

I had a problem with the rpm gauge: it would rise whenever the rpms were rising, but it would not fall when rpms were falling. This means that at every acceleration, the needle would rise further and further. It used to even go off the scale and then further into the 0-1000 area :p . I could see that the needle was struggling to fall back (minor flicker), but it couldn't. It's like a toothed gear mechanism where the teeth would jump without moving the other gear.

I got out the cluster, disassembled the front clear plastic cover, then I gently took the needle out, put some super-glue on the tip that goes into the center of the dial, and placed it back in. When doing something like this, you have to be very careful because basically you can do it only once. You need to take care to put it back in the exact position you got it out (the 0 position). You also need to push it firmly in, so that it goes back into the mechanism fully, to ensure no "jumping" will happen again.

Now I would suggest that you don't do the super glue thing right from the beginning. First try to disassemble the cover and don't get the needle out, only push it firmly in. See if this cures the problem.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your reply....

I forgot to mention that the speedo and rev counter both work together or not at all..

The clock, temp and fuel gauges work fine al the time..

Checked connections at back which seem to be ok...

·
Registered
144 Posts
If you have no faults, then most probably it's not an electrical issue. I believe there's two things left:
1. Try disassembling the cluster, like I described earlier.
2. Replace the cluster ($$$$ :crying: )

1 - 9 of 9 Posts