Audi Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had this fault: climate control blower showing all bars but no blow from vents? Sounds to me like the motor but first thing when you drive the car it's fine and then the blow dies off even when it's still showing all bars. Does this in auto and manual modes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Wooly,

My A4 has exactly the same fault as yours. The heater blower will generally work for a couple of minutes first thing in the morning, then dies away.
Audi garage have diagnosed a fault with the blower motor/bearings and it needs to be replaced.
Due to the high costs of garage replacement, I was investigating doing it myself.
Does anyone know how best to gain access to the internal blower motor with the least amount of dashboard removal possible?

Thanks,
Matt.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Had a similar (but not identical) problem on my A6 last winter. The blower was not blowing at all, no matter what the climate control was showing, or how I played with it.

First I took out the glove-box to gain access to the blower itself. The blower has a command module nearby, I first checked that one. It has a connector with three wires (12V,GND and command). When I shorted the command and 12V wires, the blower started working at full speed! Therefore I concluded that both the blower and the control module were OK.

Since at the time I was not able to get the climate control out (lack of stereo removal tools), I went for a temporary DIY fix. I ran two wires from the blower control module 12 V and command terminals to a knob-type potentiometer (20 K). Therefore, I was able to control the fan speed manually from the knob. I placed the knob between the two front seats, to be at-hand, and lived with it until this summer. My friends laughed at the funny, scotch-taped knob, but it surely served its purpose well.

This summer, I finally found some stereo removal tools and got the climate control out, only to find that a connector was a bit loose :wacko:. I plugged it back and my blower started working again from the climate control commands.

Now, I don't know if this is your case, because your blower works sometimes. I guess it's the blower control module that is dying out. Get the glove box out and check it, before throwing $$$ on the garage. The fault they diagnosed does not necessarily mean that the motor needs replacement, it might just be the control module. Since the control module also has a thermal element, and your blower stops working only after some time (i.e. after heating up), it's a good sign that you should start investigating there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers for replys guys,

I also found the motor to be faulty, commutator worn away completely! Did it myself by removing the glove box to gain access as garage prices were too heafty for my pocket. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the info as well, my A4 fan has just died and it has been displaying exactly the same symptoms. A quick bang on the dash used to fix it, leading me to believe its a loose connector but I think you've just confirmed it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

Just bought an A4 2.8 Avant Quattro with exactly the same problem - control unit powers / lights up but absolutely no air being blown, however , when set to high i do get warm air !!

How do i remove the control unit to check the connections at the back?? is it a case of removing the stereo?? If so where can i buy some removal tools ??

Thanks in advance

Stuart

·
Registered
1 Posts
My climate control has a similar problem. For a few months it was working intermittently, I thought it must be a loose connection. For the last few weeks it sounded as if it was ill, with the motor seemingly going at half speed. It has now given up altogether however the digital display and controls seem to work fine (I have removed the stereo and control unit, checking for loose connections).

I would appreciate any suggestions as to what may be wrong or how to tackle it myself!!

Thanks.

PS. Apart from this problem (and a dodgy computer display) this 1999 A4 1.8T with 146000 miles on the clock is an absolutely fantastic car to drive and own. I sometimes fall out of love with it and think about a newer Audi but I can't bring myself to do it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts