Audi Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings! New to the Audi world and this forum.

Just got a 96 A4 2.8 for my 16yr old daughter. It was parked for over a year so I am slowly getting it back into shape. Right now, I am having two problems.

1.- The radio plays for a while then no sound. Everything seems to be ok, but just no sound. I reset the radio (removed and re-inserted the fuse) and got it playing again only to have it stop again. Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong or should I just change the entire system?

2.- Just had the a/c gased up and it working like an artic blast from Canada. (We need this in Miami). While driving she heard water sloshing and when checked, found the front passenger floor soaking wet. Any ideas what may be causing this and if drain hose for the a/c unit is blocked, where can I find it to un-block it?

·
Registered
195 Posts
If you plan on maintaining the car yourself, I would suggest getting a repair manual on CD (or printed if you are without a computer). Many of these questions will be answered when you look at the pictures and they describe how to R & R the parts.

I would go to Audi first, then try the Bentley Publishers site. They also have a good Audi technical discussion site.

Are you sure the water was coming from the A/C unit? (which would have to be the condenser and that is normally in the engine compartment). More common is a water leak from the windshield or door weather stripping or possibly the heater core (not as likely in Florida and should have a definite radiator smell) although I have not looked at my 1999 A4 Avant to see where all the lines go.

Work by process of elimination. Dry the car, don't run the A/C and if the car still gets wet, then it's not coming from the A/C.

VB

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info.

I do tinker so I plan to get a manual. As for the water, I am pretty sure it is from the evaporator and not coolant. I was checking for the source and it seems to be coming from the right side of the center console. I will look into it some more over the weekend.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:banana:

Water leak fixed.

As I suspected the water was coming from the a/c evaporator. It was dripping from what seems to be a screw or rivet connected to the bottom a plastic extension box from the evaporator. This was located under the center console.

I started in the wrong direction by taking apart the center console. By the time I figured out where everything was and the easiest way to re-install the glove box and attached shield, it took me approximately 2.5 hours from start to finish.

Basically, I had to remove the glove box and attached shield, pull the carpet back, detach then blow out drain pipe with compressor.

I can provide the gory details if needs be.

·
Registered
13 Posts
:banana:

Water leak fixed.
Basically, I had to remove the glove box and attached shield, pull the carpet back, detach then blow out drain pipe with compressor.
I can provide the gory details if needs be.
HEY! wats up man...im trying to replace my evaporator on my 96 a4 too, but idnt know what to remove from the dash in order fro me to get to it...is there any way you could give me some pointers on how to do it?

maybe a lil write up.. thnxz

·
Registered
121 Posts
No water is created by the condenser, it is only produced by the warm air passing over the cold fins of the evaporator. As the air temp drops it's dew point falls and along with that the ability to hold moisture in suspension. You have a clogged evaporator drain.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts