Audi Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

My recently purchased 96 A4 quattro with 49,000 miles chatters when turning corners at low speeds or pulling out of parking spaces or driveways when accelerating from a stopped position and the wheel turned. Any out there that might have had a similar experience? With a solution?

TIA

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The chatter I refer to is a vibration which is felt throughout the car by both driver and passenger. If I continue to go around a fairly tight circle or 90* turn it will chatter only when hitting the accelerator. When coasting it doesn't do it.
I've taken it to 4 different mechanics and they say it feels like it is in the All Wheel Drive system, could be in the transmission, the brake calibers but don't no for sure!
I'm hoping someone out here has had this problem diagnosed properly and fixed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have that same problem on my 96 A4 quattro. I am currently working on it. I have started with the main driveshaft. I found the front cv joint on the driveshaft was dried out and had some play. I purchased a rebulit one. Also I am putting new bearings in the rear differential. The rear axle shafts were also dried out and had a bit of play in them so I am replacing both the left and right with rebuilt ones.
The thing that I think is causing my vibration though is the front control arms. I was taking the front axle shafts out last nite and found that there is a massive amount of play in the lower control arm bushing. I am hoping that is where that shudder is coming from. You can't really see the play in the control arm until you loosen it from the wheel hub assembly. When it is all attached there is pressure on it so it is hard to see any play.
I will update the post once I get everything finished.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the reply Kenno.
Please keep me updated as to your findings. I am not a mechanic. It seems like you are doing alot of work! Is it a process of elimination your going through to find the chatter? I hope you solve the problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am kinda replacing things that seem worn. Hopefully another few weeks I will have it all done and I will let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Kenno I was just wondering if you completed the work on you car and solved the problem! This chatter/vibration thing is annoying to say the least. It doesn't seem to bother my wife though and that is good for it is her car.
Although I am not a mechanic I am tempted to buy a manual & do what you're doing! Anyway hope you find the problem and correct it.

regards,
Strajo

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yeah I know what you mean some females aren't bothered by that stuff. I am waiting on my last batch of parts. I hoping to get them end of this week. If so I might finish it up this weekend.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Certainly curious to find out how you made out. Hope all you're parts come in as the right ones!
thanks for the update,
Strajo

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am still having some parts issues. I had to order a needle bearing from Scottland for the front differential, since there was none in stock in the US. The remanufactured rear axle shafts I had ordered had inner cv joints that were binding so I am in the process of redoing my old ones myself. Other then that most everything is close to being put back together. I am getting pretty anxious to get it out on the road again.

I had an interesting find this weekend when I was replacing my engine mounts. I found out the driver's side was in worse condition then I thought and it was leaking fluid from it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well I finally got my car done. The only thing it still has the shudder. I am all out of ideas. I am thinking I might have to live with it for now until it gets worse and then it might be easier to find.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts