Audi Forums banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I joined the forum today as we're considering buying a 2007 A4 2.0T cab. I've read fairly extensively about the "Audi oil consumption problem" on this forum and others, and I feel compelled to add my $.02. It strikes me that people seem to be in various stages of grief, if not open revolt, over having to add a quart of Mobil 1 every 3-5,000 miles. That comes out to, what, $20 or $30 a year?

My 2004 Acura TSX was similar; its PCV system was designed to recirculate crankcase oil vapor into the intake manifold and, consequently, it used 1/2 to 1 quart between changes. If one removed the intake manifold (I did), there was oil residue in there. It was designed that way. Our current Acura MDX is similar, uses about a quart between changes.

As Audi's oil consumption doesn't appear to be symptomatic of a mechanical breakdown, I must say I'm quite surprised at all the hand wringing. My opinion: check your oil at each gas fill-up, relax a bit, and enjoy your car! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
...Has Audi ever acknowledged the problem, or do they believe it's perfectly fine, just like that silly premium gas requirements on some cars?...
I know this is another forum flame-war favorite, but when a turbocharged car (or any car, for that matter) recommends 91-octane gas, it's not a conspiracy between the car and oil companies. It's a cylinder-pressure/detonation/ignition timing thing. Not worth the savings imho ($100-$200/year?) to use 87 octane and have your knock sensors retarding the timing every time you go up a hill or accelerate from a light.

They're your knock sensors, though. You paid for 'em, maybe you just want your money's worth. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this is another forum flame-war favorite, but when a turbocharged car (or any car, for that matter) recommends 91-octane gas, it's not a conspiracy between the car and oil companies. It's a cylinder-pressure/detonation/ignition timing thing. Not worth the savings imho ($100-$200/year?) to use 87 octane and have your knock sensors retarding the timing every time you go up a hill or accelerate from a light.

They're your knock sensors, though. You paid for 'em, maybe you just want your money's worth. :)
I don't believe it's a conspiracy. But I think it's a recommendation meant for optimum performance. What is the worst that can happen if the manual asks for premium, and you feed it with regular for years?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think burning 87 octane in a car that was really designed to run on 91 is asking for trouble. They have knock sensors to retard the timing (which does reduce power a bit, too) and relieve the detonation. But you can only retard timing so much. And you have to have knocks, I would think, to have knock sensors make those adjustments.

None of that sounds good to me and so I use the fuel that car mfrs recommend (except for the odd time that it's unavailable and I need gas -- that, to me, is what the knock sensors are for). Doing otherwise, over the long run, seems like tempting fate for minor savings. Of course, YMMV.

Don't get me wrong, if you car only recommends 87 octane in the first place then there's nothing to be gained from burning 89 or 91 (assuming those are both more expensive than 87).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think the vast majority of use the best gas.

I have been a fanatic about using the best gas, and yet the new car is consuming oil.

Good engines don't need oil added between service intervals.

·
Registered
24 Posts
IMO & Personal experience, oil consumption in any supercharged or turbocharged car is normal. With the forced induction it just happens...it's a give & take you get for the added performance that the SC or TC you have.

1 qt per 2000-3000 miles with normal driving and 1 qt per 1000-2000 miles with aggressive driving is normal, IMO.

I have had other stock turbo-charged cars and currently have a massively built supercharged truck and all of them have always burned through at least a quart of oil between oil changes...and I change every 3000 miles no matter what the manufacturer says.

Just my 2 cents

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
well said oki

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
I have a 2.0tFSI engine, its mounted on A6 C6, my take on oil consumption, although very annoying, but this is what I found
Oil consumption increases when you idle the car ( e.g. waiting for your girlfriend/wife with your engine on idling mode)
I change to 5-50w racing oil, seems to consume less oil.

The FSI engine has to consume oil, there is a ducting to the turbo compressor fm cylinder head, if you open up your intercooler you will find engine oil there, it needs the oil to go into induction to lubricated the intake valves since now it is FSI direct injection, there is no possibility to oil the intake valves otherwise. thus your intake chamber can clog up with carbon if you can take it for a good run once a while or you will need to clean it once a year.

·
Registered
2 Posts
a4 oil consumption

Hi, Well it's good to know I'm not alone out there.
Lots of folk seem to know of the problem but only a couple of us are experiencing it.
Does that make us an Anomaly?
Does that make our engines rogue?
I suspect so. I suspect that Audi have been alerted to the situation and are covering their OPTIONS.
Let's hear from every 2.0 litre Audi who is using an unreasonable amount of oil

Has anyone experienced the problem of burning oil during early "running in" miles which DOES eventually disappear, as Audi assure me that it will.

Please talk to me, I NEED YOUR SUPPORT IF I AM TO GET ANYWHERE

djg
Hi everyone I'm new here but have read some of the posts on the high oil consumption of the audi. My son has had an A4 for about 5years it's a 2001 model 2ltr petrol. He has always had to put lots of oil in the car, but a lot more than anyone here has commented on. For example he had the car serviced about 3 months ago and last night he said that the car was making loud noises .When we looked it was completely dry, the car does not drop any oil nor does it burn any oil and it flew through the last mot on emissions. Maybee I am missing something here but if a vehicle is using this much oil it must be going somewhere, but during the time he has had the car we have never been able to discover where.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2011 A5 with the 2.0T and it uses oil. I just bought the vehicle and it has 65K miles. I changed the oil 0W40 Mobile 1 , I changed the unit that has the pcv valve and it made it better. But it should not use this much oil. I have been driving for 50 years and this vehicle uses more oil than any of my cars.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts