Audi Forums banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have 2007 A4 2.0T. Have been back and forth to Audi service for excessive oil consumption 5 times. They have performed the oil consumption Part I and found nothing wrong. Told to bring car in after 600 miles for Part II. They found excessive oil consumptiom, just about a quart. I was told to bring car after another 600 miles for Part III. Amazingly now they tell me oil consumption for this car is normal. After another 800 miles the oil light went on again and the oil level was at minimum. This is not normal oil consumption as far as I am concerned. I have owned other Audi's, MB's, and BMW's and have never had a problem. Also friends bought the same Audi at the same time as myself and have no problems. I would like to pursue this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2006 A4 2.0T Oil Usage

I have a smaller but similar oil issue. My question is.....seeing as how there are not many hi performance cars with turbos (extra temp and stress on oil) that are full production in numbers and have these large oil burning/ sweating issues. (I happen to feel that even the most intense situations that seem to be leaks on these cars, are usually gaps that are "sweating" oil in different quantities at different temperature differences, (expansion and shrinking). Ive used synthetic oil in old american muscle cars with worn engines and seen similar oil use because it seems to be thinner and burn easier/leak easier. Unexcusable on an audi turbo motor. What can be done to correct this? All here is opinion, would love argument or other opinions!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi, Just visiting from the A6 forum. I have a sept 07 2.0TDI 140 A6 with excessive oil consumption. From new it was using 0.5l in about 1800 miles which I moaned to the dealer about but was told its normal and would improve with use. In fact it gradually worsened and by 17,000 miles was using 0.5l every 300 miles!! They agreed to take it in and did the consumption test during which the light came on after only 180 miles so they accepted it was a problem. After 7.5 weeks in the shop they found an oil control ring was missing and claimed they could find no evidence of it ever having been there as there was no scouring on the bore or bits of ring in the sump. They put a full set of new rings on and gave it back to me "cured". It still uses .5l every 1800 to 2000 miles. Its now done 27,500 miles in total and is showing no signs of improvement but as this is better than the 0.5l per 1000km trigger level I'm stuck with it. This is my first Audi and based on this experience it will be my last!! I've owned various other makes of turbo diesel previously and have never had to put oil in any of them between services. When I bought an Audi the last thing I expected was having to open the bonnet every fortnight! I've put a poll in the A6 C6 forum to try to get a picture of the consumtion most people are getting but I think most A6 people must be running the bigger engines - maybe you A4 guys can all visit this poll and log your consumption too - can the moderators move the poll to somewhere more generic so all 2.0 TDI users can find it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, Just visiting from the A6 forum. I have a sept 07 2.0TDI 140 A6 with excessive oil consumption. From new it was using 0.5l in about 1800 miles which I moaned to the dealer about but was told its normal and would improve with use. In fact it gradually worsened and by 17,000 miles was using 0.5l every 300 miles!! They agreed to take it in and did the consumption test during which the light came on after only 180 miles so they accepted it was a problem. After 7.5 weeks in the shop they found an oil control ring was missing and claimed they could find no evidence of it ever having been there as there was no scouring on the bore or bits of ring in the sump. They put a full set of new rings on and gave it back to me "cured". It still uses .5l every 1800 to 2000 miles. Its now done 27,500 miles in total and is showing no signs of improvement but as this is better than the 0.5l per 1000km trigger level I'm stuck with it. This is my first Audi and based on this experience it will be my last!! I've owned various other makes of turbo diesel previously and have never had to put oil in any of them between services. When I bought an Audi the last thing I expected was having to open the bonnet every fortnight! I've put a poll in the A6 C6 forum to try to get a picture of the consumtion most people are getting but I think most A6 people must be running the bigger engines - maybe you A4 guys can all visit this poll and log your consumption too - can the moderators move the poll to somewhere more generic so all 2.0 TDI users can find it?

My car has now gone back to Audi to day to have a different oil put in the engine which is more viscose (thicker) then the one that has been in. I have been told that this will cure the problem that I have been having (guaranteed). The service intervals have been the wrong ones to, this is due to that I am only doing 10,000 – 12,000 miles a year. I should have been on a time and mileage service not the long life service that I have been on. I am just hoping that this will sort the oil problem out but I will keep you informed of the out come. Sorry to hear about your problems you have been having, and hope you get yours sorted out soon.

Cheers

John Cubbison
:D:lol::D:confused::confused:

·
Registered
2 Posts
A4 Oil Burning

Hi, Well it's good to know I'm not alone out there.
Lots of folk seem to know of the problem but only a couple of us are experiencing it.
Does that make us an Anomaly?
Does that make our engines rogue?
I suspect so. I suspect that Audi have been alerted to the situation and are covering their OPTIONS.
Let's hear from every 2.0 litre Audi who is using an unreasonable amount of oil

Has anyone experienced the problem of burning oil during early "running in" miles which DOES eventually disappear, as Audi assure me that it will.

Please talk to me, I NEED YOUR SUPPORT IF I AM TO GET ANYWHERE

djg
I have a 2007 A4 2.0T with 9100 miles. I needed to add a quart of oil three times already, in addition to the required oil change at 5000 miles. Essentialy every 2.0T user has this problem (Passat, A3, Golf, etc). The primary culprit is a badly designed PCV valve, which doesn't close consistently when the turbine pressurizes the in-take manifold, thus it increases the pressure in the crankase. It works perfectly, when the turbo is not cutting in, like at idle. Audi/VW has a new PCV valve/breather tube design, which they refer to as a pump, that closes the valve even under turbine pressure. Cost is $75 plus labor. Audi is unwilling to supply the new part under warranty unless you use you use more than 1 quart/1 liter per 1000 miles. I am taking them to small claim court.:mad:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same problem with my car...a 07 A4. I asked the dealer and they told me that its usual for the engine to burn a quart of oil every 1000 miles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the same problem. A4 2.0 and it is requiring oil every 1000km. The car has 40K+ on it, but this just start happening over the past couple of months as I'm doing a lot more city driving. Does that seem to be the same issue with others?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have an 07 A4 2.0T as well and i am due for my 15000 mile servie in a few days. I have already had to put oil in it because my light when on. I called the dealer to see if they would service it early but they said i would have to pay. Next time i go i am going to ask about that new valve for $75. Even if they wont pay for it...it might be worth the money in the long run.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the same problem. A4 2.0 and it is requiring oil every 1000km. The car has 40K+ on it, but this just start happening over the past couple of months as I'm doing a lot more city driving. Does that seem to be the same issue with others?
[Craggers} 4th Audi , first one to fill up oil and check diesel.... 4 pints in 15000 kms. first 45000km's 2 pints of oil after long open roads only.... Audi to come back with proper answer else may as well buy Toyota Lexus !!!! at least yo don't have to worry about filling up oil!!:(

·
Registered
2 Posts
i work in a service dept. not going to mention the brand. all research i have done on this subject has finished with the same answer. internal combustion engines use oil to prevent friction. therefore by running the engine it will consume oil. a thin coat will be left on the cylinder wall after compression stroke and burns off during combustion. i have seen an engine go through 2qts in 500 miles. that enigne needed rings. remember as a vehicle owner you should regularly check your oil. to go the full maintenance interval without looking is not smart.

·
Registered
7 Posts
High Oil Consumption

I have had a problem with my A4 2.0T petrol 2006 now for the past year. It is using extremely large amounts of oil. The oil low level light has been on twice now when my wife has been driving the car and had to top the level up.

The car has been to Audi to have the problem checked out by draining and weighing it and filling it back up. Then I was told to drive 600 miles and then return the car so that the oil could be reweighed. The outcome was that it had used 0.5 of a litre and that this was not a problem (normal).

Tomorrow I am taking the car back for the second time to have the above test done again because just after 1000 miles the dip stick is now showing nearly empty.

The last time it was checked by Audi was only 6 weeks ago, again I did check it 3 weeks ago and it was half empty. The reason for not topping it up was that the service is due in the next two weeks.

The service that is due is 20,000 miles service.

Please email me back with and tips you may have about my situation @ [email protected]

:(:mad::eek:
: I have the same issue with my 07 2.0 Avant. What to do?
Dick Rome
[email protected]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Oil consumption Audi A4 2001

Hello there, was watching the thread. I have an Audi A4 model 2001 and it's consuming a lot of oil (approx 1ltr p/1000km). I live in Malta which is a small island, thus driving experience here is very city-like. I was shocked to discover this amount of oil consumption, thought it was ridicolous so thought of looking for assistance in Audi forums re this matter, and it seems like I am not the only one!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Audi has been hesitant to admit to any responsibility. At my next service, they are going to perform an oil consumption test. We'll see what that shows. There is definetaly a problem and they are keeping their mouths shut and not responding to their faithful customers needs. Very sad and frustrating.

·
Registered
7 Posts
A$ oil consumption

.....by the way I forgot to specify, the engine is a 2.0. Well it seems like it is not a 'problem' really, its just the way the engine performs :confused:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Tinu:

I don't agree that it is not a problem. My wife has an 05 A4 1.8 and goes through no oil between her 10,000 mile services. There is something going on and Audi is not stepping up to the plate to correct it. This bothers me.

Dick Rome

·
Registered
7 Posts
oh! that's another thing then I guess you are right! well, ( I don't want to sound negative) but since mine is a 2001 model I guess its useless for me to complain since the warranty is expired :/

·
Registered
7 Posts
Oil consumption

I talked with Terry May at Audi of America, Inc. today and he said that Audi's specs are 1/2 quart every 600 miles is considered normal. This is a document that someone at Audi created so they can dodge their responsibilities of correcting the problem that they know exists. This is very poor custiomer support in my opinion. Why don't they step up and correct their errors? This would be the responsible thing to do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Both of our A4's are using excessive amounts of oil. Our 08 started using oil after we had 20,000 mile on the clock. it is now burning oil at the rate of 1qt per 2000 miles.
The 07 is burning oil at the rate of 1qt per 1000 miles. This weekend we say good bye the the 07. The car is like brand new but we cannot keep a car that consumes oil like an old 65 plymouth. Will replace it with a BMW xi
The 08 is leased so we are stuck with it until next spring. The A4's are great handling cars. but we would rather have an old pontiac that will not burn oil than these pieces of S%&t

·
Registered
1 Posts
Audi A4 Avant 2.3 TDI

Coming late to this thread (because of coming late to Audi) I too am shocked about the oil consumption. Mine burns about 0.5 L per 2700M, a lot better than many others on this thread but still bad. My other car, a Saab conv. Aero, never needs oil between services which are 18000M apart!

That said I am very impressed with the Audi.

I'll keep my eye open for other posts in this thread.

Aad
UK

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I'm planning on buying a 2010 Audi (hopefully used if I can find it, within 6 months, although I don't think they ever have the premium kind as used, they always have the cheap version).

Anyway, is this oil consumption problem still going on? How does it compare to BMW?

I mean, I'd prefer not to go for constant oil changes if it's consuming too much oil. Has this problem been fixed for the 2010+ models?

Has Audi ever acknowledged the problem, or do they believe it's perfectly fine, just like that silly premium gas requirements on some cars. I hope they realize that they lose customers everyday due to this problem, I've met a bunch of people who said "nah I don't want to buy audi, they have an oil problem etc." or "it's too expensive" etc.

Any updates on this oil consumption thing? Thx.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts