Audi Forums banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2002 A4 with 36000 miles on the clock . It is still using oil at the rate of 1lt. every 2500 miles.
It has been back to garage many times and they say this is nornal. I think may be the oil as I have heard it has been changed in the recent past. :mad:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2002 A4 with 36000 miles on the clock . It is still using oil at the rate of 1lt. every 2500 miles.
It has been back to garage many times and they say this is nornal. I think may be the oil as I have heard it has been changed in the recent past. :mad:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
I am from eastern europe, driving an A3 SB 1.9TDI (77kw) since march 2006.
Same problem on mine…
Changed the oil at 5K miles and driving on a semi highway (about 8K miles) an oil level min warning appear.Just to mention, it was castrol slx longlife III 5W30.
Of course, I toped it up, and after a while went to another regular service(here it’s every 15000Kkm which corresponds to less than 10k miles) on about 11K miles.
Same oil again. About 13k filled it again because I was going to Slo(a lot of highway, which means a lot of revs and high speeds, so I think it’s not bad to have it to the top).when came back, driving a little and about 15.5k the oil lamp litted again.
So I was calculating, with my driving style(average, sometimes hard, and usually softly), the oil consumption is about 2 l of extra quality synt oil for 5-6 K miles.
My mates don’t even think to check oil level on their new peugeots TURBO diesels etc..
At the and, to say that I was wery gentle when running in the car.i think that for about 3k miles I didn’t pass the mark 3 on the rev meter.
How about you guys?
How’s runned in that 2.0TDI which doesn’t drink oil, RickT ?(Your mate’s you spoke about)
Just thinking, maybe that might be the rason… otherwise have no any idea why some of the SAME engines drink oil, and others not..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Rick,

My A3 2.0 TDI is consuming oil at the rate of half a litre every 1000 miles. I'm keen to use your oil consumption thread to find out more but it doesn't connect.

Thanks,

Denis

·
Registered
15 Posts
A4 Oil Consumption problems

I have done 8000 miles in my 2.0 T FSI Multitronic and the oil level has hardly changed. I do short distances each day at low speeds with occasional bursts of full power. I was given a container of oil when I purchased the car with a verbal warning to top up when the indicator illuminates. I have not had to top up, but looking at the handbook, the indicator is not a level but pressure device so I would not recommend relying on this indicator...check the dip stick

·
Registered
2 Posts
no problems

I have an 06 audi a4... i havent had this problem. I just take it in for the scheduled services and thats about it... Its at 10,000 miles right now without this issue. but my bluetooth goes crazy on me once in a while... I have a motorola Krzr and when i walk away from my car whiles its on (and bluetooth is paired) and then i come back to my car, my phone goes off the HOOOOOOKKKKK! it keeps saying "Bluetooth Connected: Audi A4".. "Bluetooth Disconnected: Audi A4"... and so on. Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
Oil consumption tests can be carried out at customers expense if found all ok.Hang on before you all see red.Heres how it works .the oil is drained and the correct oil capacity is then weighed and added to the engine,1000km are the driven without topping up and the oil temp is then raised to normall operating temp and the oil is then drained over 10mins without removing the oil filter.the weight is then subtracted from the specified weight to calculate the consumption figure is 0.50of a litre per 1000km.So if you didnt no what to do,you do now.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just turned over 14,000 miles. Still some oil, 250 ml about, left in the second litre. The car used most of the first litre in the first 6,000 miles so appears to have settled down.

Currently 51.5 miles per gallon, English gallons of course, and as the tyres are starting to look a bit thin I shall need to research for the best make as a replacement. Any ideas?

With best regards to all you oil burners, either diesel or lubricating,

john from Staffs

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
I have found most motorway users seem to burn a bit more than urban drivers,and the first 10,000 miles seem to be the worst hence topup kit supplied at pdi.I have in the past considerd oil manufacturers but all cars from the factory are on longlife and i think its castrol 507 00 so thats out of the window.Also all oil consumption tests on pd diesel have come within spec.So if your using say 2litres per 1000 miles then there is a problem but if only a litre the test is unlikely to show consumption above criterion.Regards to all

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have an 07 A4 Avant TDI 140, and I have to say that the oil consumption has been okay for a new engine. So far I have covered 3K miles and have had to put in about 1/4 litre to get back to the MAX mark. This is reasonable for a brand new engine I think, but I sympathise with the members which have suffered more costly oil consumption. My problem is more fuel consumption, its gradually getting better, but I still struggle to get 45 mpg compared to my old TDI 130 which would have done 50-51 on the same driving.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The PD engines can also loose oil into the boost system.

The turbo oil seals leak, and the oil is slowly blown through the intercooler and into the engine.

You can also have upto half a litre in the lower boost pipe.

·
Registered
59 Posts
my cars consumed 1 ltr in 6.5k miles, its a A4 2.0t s line. Find is odd that a car like audi consumes so much oil, ive got a merc c kompressor which is only a few months old and that hasnt touched a drop.

My 7 year old Vectra sri, doesnt touch a drop and thats driven hard

this is gonna get expensive :(

·
Registered
99 Posts
Just found this interesting bit of info.

It seems that on the TDI engines factory filled with 'long life/20k' oil, the synthetic oil is preventing the oil rings from bedding in properly, unless the engine is revved hard and often.

The result of this is that your car may need topping up with the equivalent of 4 to 6 oil changes worth of oil over 20,000 miles.

Consumption should reduce considerably when the oil rings are bedded in.

(Not sure if it applies to petrol cars)

OIL CONSUMPTION IN NEW PASSAT 1.9TDI - Page 2 - VWAUDI Forum

·
Registered
59 Posts
i think it may do.. when i picked my car up in September, I asked the sales manager if it needs to be run in slowly like i did on my merc, he stated that on an Audi its better to drive the car hard and often. i ignored his advice as i thought he was having a laugh..

·
Registered
77 Posts
audi-sline said:
i think it may do.. when i picked my car up in September, I asked the sales manager if it needs to be run in slowly like i did on my merc, he stated that on an Audi its better to drive the car hard and often. i ignored his advice as i thought he was having a laugh..
I think this is good advice, but on the other hand it depends what you mean by 'hard', my definition is dont be afraid to take tit up to 90 on the motorway on occasions and to allow the engine to rev to say 3000 but no further for the first 1000 miles. For the next 1000 pretty much the same but every other day use a short burst of 4000 RPM. This seems to have worked well for me, but anything else in the first 1000 miles is OTT I think.
My TDI 140 has only used about 1/5 of a liter in 3500 miles and the fuel consumption is beginning to improve.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My first post but a subject close to my heart. I had a 3.0 before my S4 and both have burnt oil. 0-30. I today learnt that the viscocity in 0-30 was too low and caused the oil to burn and sludge low down. Now, in the UK, VAG50301 is 5-30.

·
Registered
77 Posts
ini said:
Just found this interesting bit of info.

It seems that on the TDI engines factory filled with 'long life/20k' oil, the synthetic oil is preventing the oil rings from bedding in properly, unless the engine is revved hard and often.

The result of this is that your car may need topping up with the equivalent of 4 to 6 oil changes worth of oil over 20,000 miles.

Consumption should reduce considerably when the oil rings are bedded in.

(Not sure if it applies to petrol cars)

OIL CONSUMPTION IN NEW PASSAT 1.9TDI - Page 2 - VWAUDI Forum
Yes it does apply to petrol engines, but to a lesser degree, as petrol engines do not naturally lubricate their bores with diesel oil.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I Have Same Rpoblem Please Help Somebody

Hi, Well it's good to know I'm not alone out there.
Lots of folk seem to know of the problem but only a couple of us are experiencing it.
Does that make us an Anomaly?
Does that make our engines rogue?
I suspect so. I suspect that Audi have been alerted to the situation and are covering their OPTIONS.
Let's hear from every 2.0 litre Audi who is using an unreasonable amount of oil

Has anyone experienced the problem of burning oil during early "running in" miles which DOES eventually disappear, as Audi assure me that it will.

Please talk to me, I NEED YOUR SUPPORT IF I AM TO GET ANYWHERE

djg
I have had a problem with my A4 2.0T petrol 2006 now for the past year. It is using extremely large amounts of oil. The oil low level light has been on twice now when my wife has been driving the car and had to top the level up.

The car has been to Audi to have the problem checked out by draining and weighing it and filling it back up. Then I was told to drive 600 miles and then return the car so that the oil could be reweighed. The outcome was that it had used 0.5 of a litre and that this was not a problem (normal).

Tomorrow I am taking the car back for the second time to have the above test done again because just after 1000 miles the dip stick is now showing nearly empty.

The last time it was checked by Audi was only 6 weeks ago, again I did check it 3 weeks ago and it was half empty. The reason for not topping it up was that the service is due in the next two weeks.

The service that is due is 20,000 miles service.

Please email me back with and tips you may have about my situation @ [email protected]

:(:mad::eek:

21 - 40 of 71 Posts