Audi Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new to audis and have just bought a 1996 a4 1.8 se, totaly mint with 10 month mot, however the front suspension has klonking on uneven roads.
I think it will need upper and lower wishbone link rods as I have been told this is a problem with this model.

The parts are in the gsf catalogue but cheaper parts are avail on ebay, are these a no no or will the quality be ok

I am a decent spanner man and wonder how much of a job it is to change these parts ?

Also display on climate unit sometimes lights up and then not, it seems to function correctly otherwise, any suggestions ?

Regards from Paul in Hull UK

·
Registered
5 Posts
Audi offers a full front suspension kit here in the U.S., there was some warranty issues with premature wear of the upper control arms. The lowere leading control arm seems to wear prematurely as well. We use only german aftermarket replacement parts as we found that the quality of all other brands we tried was substandard.
The work itself can be rather daunting even for trained pro's, I do this for a living and it's not easy without a hoist. Changing the upper arms involves removing the cast aluminum bracket to which thay are attached, along with the coil-over strut.
The lower arms may require a specialty tool to unseat the balljoints from the carrier.
I think in the long run you'd be better off paying to have it done, then if something wears out or the instalation is faulty you will have someone to blame besides yourself:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, Thanks for the advice, I had a look yesterday and found both front anti roll bar link rods worn, got some replacments and an hour later the klonking had gone so it looks like I have been very lucky this time.
I just sold a jaguar 2.5 x type with 25000 miles and this audi with 107000 is honestly a better car to drive.

The climate control computer / display was faulty, I stripped it right down and cleaned the contacts on the rubber contact strips & the lcd glass screen and all is now well again.

Thanks for the advice
Regards from PAUL

1 - 3 of 3 Posts