Audi Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wanted to tell you about an issue I have with my 3 and half year old A4 convertible, the aerial cable is attached to the boot lid connected to two amplifiers - the copper cable is routed through the body and into the boot lid - where the boot lid opens and closes the cable is put under stress and in my case its snapped - i now have an 18 grand car that can't pick up a radio signal unless you open the boot lid (the wires make contact and its works) spoke to Audi who were less than sympathetic telling me the cable is £40 to replace (not bad) but it will take up to 7 hours to fit the cable and at £95 per hour its going to cost bigtime:eek: - needless to say I'm looking for an audio electrician to splice the cable - but I wanted you to know about this as possible problem for other A4 convertible drivers - I've got to say the car other than that I've had the car nearly two years and its run like a dream!:cool:

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
Thanks for the info...

I have never heard of that one.. Have you tried call Audi UK and explaining the issue??

I have just checked and theres been no recalls from audi regarding this..

Get onto Audi UK and see what happens..

If no joy see if you can get a Auto electrician who will be able to repair the copper cable..

Is it a copper wire with a plastic shield or like a copper filloment like you get in rear heated windows??

Cheers

Rickt

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I was really disappointed with Audi UK’s response to this issue considering the fact its only really just expired warranty (spoke to a customer service manager from calling the 0800 number) – they were quick enough to point out it would take 7 hours to fit the cable so I assume it must be a problem they are aware of, I’ve not been brave enough to strip back any cables yet but it looks like a regular shielded copper cable, just I'm not sure which one there are 4 cables (ones for the sat nav and the other 3 all go into the first amp– as you suggest I’m going to find an auto electrician before attempting anything.

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
yeah... if its just copper wire its will be easy to repair... as you say its finding the wire... simple... turn the radio on.... once you have re-joined it to will work!! (in theory its simple)

I would strip back the cables and have a look before getting anyone.... buts thats my..

Let uis know how you get on!!!

Cheers!

Rickt

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
just noticed your in Northampton.,, so that place would be about 50 - 60 miles away.....

Rickt

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Found the fault - two crushed cables (one the aerial the other for the traffic alert system) in the gaiter between the body and the boot lid – cut out the crushed cable and replaced the section - everything works ok !!!!

Can't see how this could have happened though as the satnav and earthing cables go through the same gaiter and are part of the same loom and they look fine - still I'm glad its all working and as it should be!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just to add to the thread and confirm design fault - I have 2004 A4 Cabriolet with same symptoms. Wiggling the gaiter on LHS of boot lid seems to return radio reception intermittently but audio elecs shop tells me that might just be me acting as aerial. He could find no obvious breaks and confirmed line continuity from radio to boot lid. Any ideas what to do next? Technician suggested changing black box inside LHS of boot (AU 465 part no 8HO 035 225J) - is that the aerial? - but I guess this will be expensive and might not even work. Any further ideas??

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi - it sounds to me that your fault is similar to the one I had, basically the copper in the cable has stretched and either broken inside or is touching the shielding, the annoying bit is as you describe it works when you partially open the boot.

As far as I know the black box in the boot lid is an amplifier & SatNav if you have that fitted, you should find two wires for the Arial, easiest way to identify which is the problem is wiggle the boot lid until you get signal then disconnect one of the aerial terminals you’ll quickly identify the culprit!

I wouldn’t have thought that your arial amplifier has gone otherwise it wouldn’t work at all... BTW it wasn’t until I chopped the damaged section out I actually found the damage its not obvious to find...

Be sure to make the join somewhere that doesn’t move during normal opening and closing of the boot!

Good luck!:D

·
Registered
32 Posts
hi all,

i have the same problem with my audi cab, no radio reception... i would really appreciate some info.. how did you get into the boot lid? or did you just open up the plastic tube which runs into the boot lid?

this copper wiring.. where did you find yours damaged? i really appreciate you help.

thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi, as I said in the earlier threads if you’ve got the same problem I had, the damage will be the wire between the boot lid and the main body of the car, to get at it you need to remove the rubbers from around the boot lid lip, and also behind the warning triangle you'll find some screws, when you've removed these you should be able to remove the cover and see the amp and wires, the wires run through a couple of rubber gaiters, and they go into the right hand quarter of the car, there should be plenty of slack there, I put my joint there as its not really going to take any abuse, basically you can use pretty much any Arial grade shielded copper, Maplins is your best bet, I soldered my joints and bound it all up with plenty of tape, now nearly two years on - no problems at all.. :)

Good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Got same problem - no radio reception

Hi, as I said in the earlier threads if you’ve got the same problem I had, the damage will be the wire between the boot lid and the main body of the car, to get at it you need to remove the rubbers from around the boot lid lip, and also behind the warning triangle you'll find some screws, when you've removed these you should be able to remove the cover and see the amp and wires, the wires run through a couple of rubber gaiters, and they go into the right hand quarter of the car, there should be plenty of slack there, I put my joint there as its not really going to take any abuse, basically you can use pretty much any Arial grade shielded copper, Maplins is your best bet, I soldered my joints and bound it all up with plenty of tape, now nearly two years on - no problems at all.. :)

Good luck
I have exactly this problem, I tried following the instructions but it quickly got too complicated for me. In fact I couldn't even get the boot lining off due to the handle but I at least managed to open it enough to see the wires in question. Wiggling the wires made the radio reception go on and off and I was able at one point able to get the radio working even when the boot was closed but then opening and closing lost the reception again, so I am sure this is the same issue. I removed the tape around the wires and couldn't see any crushed cables. I don't feel confident enough to cut the wires now I have seen the job and I can't tell where the damaged wire is. It may be in the rubber tube that goes between the car and boot. I can't see and I can't get to the wires in this tube. After moving the wires about I now don't get reception at all at any time. I didn't force them or anything but I guess I have moved them sufficiently to make the dodgy wire not work at all now. I have had a quote of £600 for a full repair or £400:( for a patch from Audi (replace replace just a section of cable) but can't afford either really - can anyone recommend a garage in SE London that can do the patch job cheaper. Also, is it just the wire marked aerial that needs repairing there are some others there also, one marked radio RF I think (one had yellow text on it and another white). I am talking about the description written on the box that they plug into. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Broadsword & Lewis .. I'm having the same issue. No FM or AM radio except AM works when the boot lid is open. Managed to get the left hand side trim off enough for me to see the black box and cables, and squeezing / moving the gaiter causes the AM to come on intermittently. I last used the FM radio about 6 months ago but it's a pain as I can't even use my DAB add-on radio as it uses FM transmission to send its signal to my radio!

Can anyone recommend an aftermarket aerial that will maybe sit behind the radio, or one to discreetly attach to the windscreen? (I already have one for the DAB radio that looks like this:

or any decent car audio shop / garage that can replace the main cables for me, in the Hertfordshire / Bedfordshire area?

thanks
Helen.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry no I didnt find anyone who'd do it except audi who wanted a small fortune, its a shame as its a straight forward fix - chopping a peice of coax, its a bit fiddley to get the covers off, but it isnt exactly rocket science! :D - print this thread out and have a chat with someone at Maplins or a local car radio shop they might have a go.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello

Having the same problem with my mum's car. How did you go about patching the cable and which one of the three that runs to the amplifier box did you have to patch up? I'd be quite confortable cutting the cable inside the car and near the connector on the amp and replacing the cable if it was "normal" single core stuff but I'm not sure about coax. I'm quite happy with satelitte/TV coax but this seems a fair bit smaller!

Dave

1 - 20 of 20 Posts