Audi Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 52 plate A4, 2.0 fsi, the soft touch boot release has decided to stop working, leaving the boot unlocked at all times, I have taken off the internal cover exposing the lock mechanism but can't see anything obvious, has any one changed one or does know what needs to be done before I visit the audi dealer? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
Same thing just happened to mine !!

Its a common fault on the A4 which turns out to be the boot actuator(solenoid ) fails...

I sent mine in to Audi last week as i couldnt shut the boot at all and it affected the alarm system...

They managed to bypass the valve by disconnecting the push rod that comes out of the actuator so i could open and close the boot manually by key as the part is apparently on UK back order from Germany so they tell me...

But after phoning around 4 main dealers i managed to source one which cost £28 so just waiting for it to arrive in post now...

The part number you need is 4B9 962 115 C ....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Martin8

Just picked up the part from the dealer.

For A4 Saloon Part No. 8E5962115B (Motor) (£12.29 + VAT)

Wth the motor mechanism exposed its a simple fix, (the hardest part is removing the boot lining!!)

If you need the Lock, the Part No. is 8E5827505B (£12.60 +VAT)

Many thanks to T-sport for your info. meant I could lock the boot.

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
Just pull the tirm off and be carful not to damage the clips..

Is it a Saloon or advant??

RicKT

·
Registered
32 Posts
hi, i got the same problem, only thing mine is a a4 (b6) cab 1.8t 53 plate....

how do i find out the part number? any ideas?

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi, i got the same problem, only thing mine is a a4 (b6) cab 1.8t 53 plate....

how do i find out the part number? any ideas?
Were you able to get the part number for the 53 plate cabrio? I have the same model and my boot won't close in the same way :mad:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Boot Release Problem

With the actuator removed from the boot, try pushing the the piston in & out with your hand, you should be able to push it in & it should spring back out. try it a few times re-fit it (but dont put your boot liner back in) you might be lucky if not go to your Audi dealer they will look up the part number from you reg details, get the part & fit it your self

·
Registered
1 Posts
A$ Cabriolet boot will not shut

On my 2003 Cabriolet, I proceeded as follows (A star shaped screwdriver set is handy but you might manage) -
1. Remove warning triangle and triangle holder (which has large star type screws but I managed with a normal screw driver).
2. Remove a single Phillips screw from the plastic inner handle on the bottom right of the boot lid.
3. Pull off the boot lid lining and the rubber cover from the boot latch.
4. Over to the right of the boot lid (it is now up in the air), there is a brass rod which is stuck into the actuator in it's `boot release` position. If you pull this you might release the short 4cm part of the actuator which sticks out and which holds the rod end (it did in my case).
5. Remove end of long brass rod (which is inserted in a funny little plastic holder) from the actual boot latch which should then release from it's permanently unlocked state and be operable by the boot key if you shut it the boot.
6. Remove actuator by removing 4 star type screws (different type from previous, of course, but I had a screwdriver for these ones.)
7. Note down how the rod goes into actuator and how actuator is positioned by drawing on paper. Actuator has a bottom plate which you don't get with the new one. Best left on at this stage but it confused the dealer a bit when I took it in since he was looking at the parts diagram which was minus the bracket. New actuator cost £35 including VAT tax. A cable goes down side of actuator. On the new actuator, this cable is best positioned after removing the base plate since you have to tuck it in so that it misses the screw holes.
8. Replace lining (rubber cover over boot latch first, I think). Watch clips on lining don't get bent or fall out when pushing back. Thanks for other who sent previous advice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dealer incompetence

I took my car to Aston Green Audi in Slough for them to confirm that the actuator was faulty and to order the new part, however after investigation they called me and said it was actually the boot catch that was broken and not the actuator. They supplied and fitted a new catch (£135) but it failed again in exactly the same way just five days later.

When I took it back again they confirmed that this time it was the actuator (surprise surprise) and tried to charge me for parts and labour again. I persuaded them to waive the labour charge, but they refused to credit me back for the boot catch which was clearly unnecessary.

All in this cost me £175, two trips to the Audi dealer and a lot of hassle!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts