Audi Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 A4 B5 2.8L Quattro. I've been working on fixing a few things that have recently broke. One thing that has been bugging me is the secondary fan that comes on when the car gets hot. It has 2 speeds, they both work. It works great when the car is running.

However, I seem to remember some time back that the secondary fan would stay on when the car was turned off so that it would cool the car down after run without the key in the ignition. Once the car was cool it would shut itself off.

Am I wrong in remembering this? Should the fan be able to run after the car has been shut off? Its kind of implied in the manual that it should.

If it should, then I have a problem. The secondary fan no longer stays on after the car is shut off. I've checked the fuses, they're good. I've replaced the 267 relay. However, none of things things seem to keep the fan going after the engine is off. What else could I check since it works perfectly fine with the engine on?

·
Registered
7 Posts
There are 3 different places that the current after the motor is turned off. Not counting your battery is good/strong. Gonna have to put it on a reader and see if it has any impending results that are stored but not enough to code. Also check your negative side of battery, well both. Make sure good and tight with no corrosion.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply, I'm going to assume that your response means the auxiliary fan should actually stay on after the car has been shut off to cool it down and eventually shut itself off, correct?

The battery is brand new. So yes, it's good/strong. There is no corrosion on the battery for the negative or positive side, they are both clean and on tight.

Do you mean an OBD-II reader? If so, I have one. The corresponding app that I have to go with it, shows no impending codes. I've not seen any codes that would correspond to the fan. However, maybe the app I have doesn't go deep enough with the OBD-II device? Is there one you can recommend for iOS or the Mac?

Essentially you're responding to a non-mechanic, which means I appreciate any direct steps you can give. Like what are the 3 different places to check? How would I check them? With a multimeter [I have one]?

As a side note: I know that power stays on to the radio until I pull the key from the ignition. I don't know if that is a clue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts