Audi Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 20,000 mile A4 2.0 FSI is noticable noisy on start up.

It sounds like the noise a worn hydralic tappet (lifter) makes on a high mileage engine, or a diesel engine knock.

It does smooth out after a mile or two, and the dealer says it's normal on an FSI engine.

Have any members experienced this with their FSI's

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
... i have heard that the B7 2.0T is very noisy on start up, (is it the same lump with a Turbo does any one know???) (im not too clued up on the B7 at the moment??) '-)

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
im not familair wit the FSI casue this is the first year we get it
but i hear the FSI engines are loud

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, 2.0T is loud, especially at idle. If abnormally loud during a cold start, make sure right viscosity oil is being used.

A

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there,

I am now the proud owner of an FSI and have noticed the diesel rumble at start up too. Something to do with direct injection maybe??

I only found out it's meant to drink Super unleaded after I bought it. Anybody know if this affects (effects??) the fuel consumtion much. No worries though Super was the same price as the normal stuff in Sainsbury's the other day.

Enjoy

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 54k 2.0 FSI also sounds diesel-like on start up, like the old tappets, therefore would assume it a trait of the engine. I have been advised to use Super Unleaded 1 in every 4 fill-ups, or monthly depending on use.

My question: On tick over, either cold or warm, my engine is twitching and very noticeable in that it can jolt the car. It's pretty random, say 4 times in 20 seconds, but of concern. Anyone else?

PS - thanks for advice on replacing bulbs - the garage I have just bought this car from tried and failed loosing the screw cap and damaging the rubber seal. The brakelight is still out so 8mm socket set is next purchase.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My B6 1.8TQ always been noisy when started cold for approximately 1 minute.
And yes, it does sound like tapper. I think this also can be one of the valves for emission gas recirculation think...
I have 90K on it now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts