Audi Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!

I'm about to buy an Audi A4 1.8Ts Quattro. The S stands for Sport I guess? As far as I can see the 1.8Ts got 180 hp engine instead of the usual 150 hp, right?

Does this mean that with a normal chip (giving approx. 50 hp) I would get more hp out of this engine than a normal 1.8T-engine?

Are there any pros/cons buying a S-version instead of a normal 1.8T-version?

Hoping for a quick reply. ;)

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
u mean S-Line rite
ya depending on what chip u get, your car will have way more power then a non chipped car

the chip will increase the boost and then remap the fueling

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
the standard 1.8t motor gives about 165-170 h.p. stock well thats wat i read on the engine's stats and the 2.8 has about 190-200 stock h.p.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hey Emphezis,

Chipping changes the whole HP thing with regards to stock HP. The a4 did have a 150 HP version, and a 170 HP version after 2001. There was also a sport version with 180 HP as you apparently have. However, all the chip tuner information I can find only lists a difference of about 6 HP (chipped difference) between the 150 and 170 engines (early vs. late madels). I believe some chip manufacturers listed them as 200hp and 206hp.

So chipping sort of levels the playing field no matter the base engine horsepower.

Good luck sorting it all out.

VB

·
Registered
186 Posts
My "sport package" also includes lower and stiffer suspension which makes a pretty significant difference in the cars handling (better).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by AllWheelGrip+Nov 8 2005, 12:37 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AllWheelGrip @ Nov 8 2005, 12:37 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>u mean S-Line rite
ya depending on what chip u get, your car will have way more power then a non chipped car

the chip will increase the boost and then remap the fueling
[/b]

No, didn't mean the S-line. Just the 1.8Ts (with a small "s", indicating sport version).

<!--QuoteBegin-volcanoblack

Chipping changes the whole HP thing with regards to stock HP. The a4 did have a 150 HP version, and a 170 HP version after 2001. There was also a sport version with 180 HP as you apparently have. However, all the chip tuner information I can find only lists a difference of about 6 HP (chipped difference) between the 150 and 170 engines (early vs. late madels). I believe some chip manufacturers listed them as 200hp and 206hp.

So chipping sort of levels the playing field no matter the base engine horsepower.

Good luck sorting it all out.
[/quote]
You got it totally right. ;) Thank you!

·
Registered
195 Posts
The sport suspension is a different option than a Sport model as I understand what Audi has made. I also have a sport suspension which includes uprated springs and sway bars and 16" wheels and also lowers the car about 20mm. I have a 1999 A4 Avant 1.8T

VB

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts