Audi Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My A4 1.8T accelerates hesitantly and is very sluggish at low revs, once pasts 3,500 revs its fine. In last 3 mths its had a 69k service & timing belt change, a new turbo actuator, new plugs and today a fuel pressure check, injector spray check, air mass meter cleaned & checked, all proving to be to running to spec. All works been done by an Audi garage and vag-com diagnostics have shown up nothing. Not sure what else to try?

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
Sounds like a coil pack is on it's way down?? any misfires reported in VAG-COM if you have it??

If you dont have VAG-COM and want "try" and fix it you can do the below..

I would go buy a coil pack,, £25 each in the UK, then take out coil pack number 1, and go for a drive... if no different... replace the exisitng one and then try in number 2.. and so on to coil pack number 4... - once you have done this and "IF" its better in one postion leave it there...

I would then recoomend reaplcing the other 3 as they will be next to go... or its upto you..

Cheers

RickT

If you then notice a differance

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestion, will check it out at the weekend and report back.

The Audi garage had suggested that it might be a 'sticky' turbo problem and they'd like to disconnect the exhaust and check the turbo. If faulty, it'll mean changing the turbo....big money!

Does that make sense?.... sorry I'm a novice. Also, what is the reliability record of the K03 Turbos?

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
all i can say is try the simple things to start with.... see my post regarding a misfire for a fine example..

RickT

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
Ash Sharma said:
Thanks for the suggestion, will check it out at the weekend and report back.

The Audi garage had suggested that it might be a 'sticky' turbo problem and they'd like to disconnect the exhaust and check the turbo. If faulty, it'll mean changing the turbo....big money!

Does that make sense?.... sorry I'm a novice. Also, what is the reliability record of the K03 Turbos?
I would say its unlikely for the Turbo to go at 69k unless its been abused before you bought the car .. ie not allowed to run on a minute or so after heavy load driving to let the oil spin off the turbo blades...

It might be something simple like a boost leak form a air pipe like RickT had...

Can you hear the Turbo spool up when you boot it ??

If it is the turbo you can get a new one for about £200 off Ebay... eBay Motors: Audi KO3 K03 Turbocharger A4 A6 VW Passat 1.8T K3 turbo (item 190059659435 end time Dec-08-06 14:47:58 PST)

but dont pay the stealers price which i should imagine would be quoted at least double that + fitting at £100 an hour !!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've had the car from new and have observed the... let it run rule... as far as I can remember. I've rarely pushed it too hard other than the ocassional short sharp burst on the motorway.

The turbo doesn't make any sound that is particularly noticable or strange on flooring the throttle.

As for a boost pressure leak.. which particular pipe(s) should I focus on? Please advise.

Thanks for the tip on getting a turbo (if required) from eBay Motors. Much appreciated... the Audi recon price is apprx £650, forgetting labour!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts