Audi Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum and was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to give some advice.
I recently moved to australia, and found a 1997 1.6 A3 for sale, with 165,000km (100,000 miles) on the clock. The car is in immacualate condition inside and out, and the engine runs clean and smooth. It has a full service history from Audi and has had a recent cam belt change. However, on test driving the car i noticed (very quickly!) that it was often almost impossible to get the car into first or second gear. Having owned an A3 before I know how slick the gearbox usually is. It seemed to be easier to get into gear if the gearlever was not pushed over sideways so much, but still sometimes was impossible to get in, posing quite a hazard trying to pull out of junctions....
I thought this was probably either a gearbox lingage or mounting problem, which shouldn't cause any problems with the rest of the 'box.
The independent dealer selling the car originally advertised it at $11,990 (c. 4800 pounds), but said that they would repair the gearbox, which they also thought was a linkage problem, and sell us the car for $10,000 with a 3 month warranty.
I was wondering if anyone knew of this kind of problem, and if it could cause further issues. Does it sound like a linkage problem or is it more serious? I am wary of the dealer possibly cutting corners in the repair that could cause further problems later.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

£4800 is a lot of money for a A3 1.6 which really is the base model !!!

If it turned out to be a gearbox problem you could be in for a big bill if it developed further problems when the warranty ran out ....

I would look around and wait for a better 1.8 T !!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply
I was kind of thinking alongthe same lines myself, but wanted a second opinion to make sure. I'm now looking for a 16V polo until the funds can stretch to a decent A3....
Unfortunately 5k is the right price for a 1.6 A3 here, because of the import tax, which is a bit of a rip of really.
Once again, thanks for the advice.

p.s. nice wheels on the A4

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
Have you thought about shipping one from the UK ? It would probably cost about £1-2k but you could spend the extra and get a good used one here !! If you have a look on uk ebay you can pick up a bargain as i bought my A3 1.8T off there for £3200 a year ago + were right hand drive the same as oz !! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately the Australian government only want us to buy Australian cars. So, they charge a 45% customs tax on the price you paid for the car to import it, plus the cost of shipping. We were going to take our A4 avant 2.5 TDi quattro when we moved from Scotalnd - but we paid 21k for the car in '02, and now it is only worth around 12k - but we'd still have had to pay 9k tax. Stupid, I know, but I suppose I'll have to live with it. The only advantage I see is that Audi's get the respect they deserve out here - people see and Audi and go "wow!" which rarely happens in the UK. But once again, thanks for the help. By the way, if anyone knows a way to evade this ridiculous system, do tell...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts