Audi Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day.

The temp guage on my 51 reg 1.9 TDi sport, used to sit comfortably at around 95-98 degrees, but over the last few weeks, has been steadily creeping up, and currently sits at around 108. Any ideas what this could be from?

It had an oil service last week, and the coolant level is spot on. The one thing i've noticed, is that the cam belt is due for replacement (cars done 60k) but I don't think that would affect the temp guage. (I'm only guessing)

Any ideas chaps? Mucho appreciado.

Trumps. :)

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
has the gauge only gone up since the oil change??? or before??

108'c is too hot for your car... have you got VAG-COM?? as you need to check the fault codes..

Is the coolent level still the same?? Are the FANS coming on when is goes about 95'c??

Cheers

RickT

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Rick,

The guage started creeping up before the oil change. I thought the oil change would stop it creeping, but it didn't.

I don't have VAG-COM no. It was plugged in at the garage the other day, and they didn't say anything about any codes for the over heating.

The coolant is still the same, but I've not noticed the fans coming on. I'll go out and check that now. cheers. :)

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
if the FAN is not coming on thats your problem i would say... however when your on the motorway doing say 70MPH.. is the temp right then?? as the cold air from outside will keep it at running temp..

Cheers

RickT

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I took it for a spin last night, and as usual, the temp was running high, so I stopped, and the fan wasn't running. I think we've found the problem. Strange how it doesn't shoot above this temp though, and into the real high temps.

(The temp was staying high on motorway miles, and normal town speeds)

Ok, so now, is there any particular type of hammer I should hit the fan with to get it working? ;) (ie: what now??)

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
RickT said:
if the FAN is not coming on thats your problem i would say... however when your on the motorway doing say 70MPH.. is the temp right then?? as the cold air from outside will keep it at running temp..

Cheers

RickT
Good shout Rick T !!

Probably not working due to a faulty fan switch / maybe thermostat ...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds good. I'll check the fan and thermostat first.

The thermostat was sat at around 65 degrees when i turned the car on at 6am this morning, so it sounds like the thermo might be playing up.

I'll go short out the fan first. Is it easy enough to check the therostat on the A3 (reluctant to take it to a dealer or garage just yet)

Are there any techniques for checking the sender switch/unit?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I've changed the sender unit, and it's still reading high temperature, so, next step, i'm going to get it plugged in to check the onboard computer. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts