Audi Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently test driven both the SE and Sport versions of the A3 but can't decide which to pick. I like the smoothness of the ride on the SE but the Sport handles much better (and looks nicer too), but also has a lot harsher and noisier ride.
I do about a 50/50 mix of town and motorway driving so I just don't know what to do.
Any advice? Please??!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi, I went through the same dilemma as you when choosing my car but eventually chose Sport. I liked the smoothness of the SE but Sport grips the road much better IMO. Also, bear in mind that Audi have improved the Sport suspension on the new single frame grill A3's (not sure what you test drove) in response to criticism on the harsh ride. Sport certainly looks nicer and the seats are far superior - I chose some extras that are standard on the SE model like cruise control and the centre arm rest and find the Sport model a really comforable ride.

At the end of the day it comes down to your personal preference - test drive them both again, back to back if possible. Whatever you go for, I'm sure you won't be dissapointed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I, too, ordered mine a 2.0 TDi Sport at the end after having a lot of discussions and judging from several aspect. I found, the things coming with SE as default are nice to have but certainly not “must-have-thing”, at least here in London, UK. The main differences are: With SE, you are getting Cruise control, Front centre armrest, Interior light pack, Light and rain sensor pack (with auto-dimming rare view mirror) and Storage pack whilst with Sport, Driver's information system, Sports suspension, Aluminum sill covers (less important), Front fog light, rare sun screen and Front sports seats are coming as default. Please see the attachment.

Cruise control is almost useless over here; hardly we get chance to maintain constant speed, even for 10/15 miles. Every 5/6 miles (average) we have a roundabout here. On the other hand, instead of Cruise control, I recon Driver's information system is more useful to have.

Front centre armrest is nice to have, especially for the passenger and some times for the driver for a long drive, it looks nice as well. But annoying during the town driving as it blocks the easy access to the hand brake. Although you can fold it back between seats.

Interior light pack, Light & rain sensor pack and Storage pack are really kool but nothing like that you can’t live without those stuffs. Auto-dimming rare view mirror is great in town but on the motorway sometimes it gives the wrong impression about the distance of the car traveling behind you, especially when changing lanes. The rare sunscreen of the Sport model will do (probably) a little bit of dimming stuff if you flip it up. One of my friends said, some times auto-dimming mirror shakes at high speed but I don’t know if that was only a very particular case. Instead of all of those stuffs, I think front sport seats are worth taking. It gives better support around the bend and much more comfortable during a long journey. It’s very good for me as I drive about 120 miles every day.

The only thing I was thinking against Sport is the Sports suspension; people say it’s a bit hard. But the Audi salesman said that with the new model the suspensions are a bit softer than its ancestors.

So, eventually I ordered: 2.0 TDi Sport Sportback with centre armrest, non-smoking pack, electrically folded door mirrors, rear floor mats, luggage Compartment Pack (with boot mounted 12v socket) and parking sensor. It’s pretty simple but pretty useful for me. What you guys think?

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks very much for your advice - it's really appreciated!

I decided to take out the sport again as I figured that I hadn't given it as much of a chance as the SE (which I had driven over 2 days). This time I took it on some faster roads, including a stretch of motorway, rather than just around town. Whilst the suspension is much firmer than the SE, the steering feels more responsive and through corners and twisty stuff, the car just feels so much more "chuckable" - i.e. much more fun! On the motorway the road noise from the lower profile tyres was slightly more evident than in the SE but not overly so, and this is still an incredibly well built car. The harder suspension set up is not so much of an issue when it comes to these fast roads but I guess that if I was doing mostly motorway miles I would probably go for the SE as it just feels much more of a cruiser. As it is, my driving will involve a mix of motorway and twisty back roads as well as the usual in town driving.

With regards to the options there were certain must haves - one of which being the sport seats which feel a lot more comortable even if you're just stuck in traffic. Cruise control was nice on the SE I drove, as was the light pack which was a great "show off" item (as well as being quite sensible - e.g. the active door reflectors). Neither of the latter I consider particularly essential though. The auto dimming rear view mirror was great although I didn't test as much at night so can't comment on the problems mentioned by MacUsers.

All in all then, I've decided to go for the Sport version (although I would have loved driving either).
As this is a company car and I don't have a fixed budget (within reason!), the options I have gone for are as follows:
3 Door 2.0TDi Sport,Lava Grey,Black Leather/Alcantara,Rain Sensor Pack,Symphony II (6 CD in Dash) with the Bose Speakers (amazing!),Front Center Armrest,Medial Aluminium Inlays (don't like the gloss black),Parking Sensors,Cruise Control,Light Pack,Non-Smoking Pack,Rear Mats,Boot Mat.
This list is to be confirmed as the company has yet to approve it so I'll keep you posted...

If this wasn't being paid for by the company though I think that MacUsers spec is pretty spot-on!
:grin:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts