Audi Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Hope you can help an aspiring son of a skint owner!

My 'rents have a rather ill A3 that is in dire need of some TLC. There are a few cosmetic problems (due to the drivers ability to hit nearly every kerb and bollard in existance - they;re on the 4th bumper already) but there is one major problem thats not something that can be ignored.

When driving up through the gears there is a very distinct lack of power until you hit a certain rev range. in these 500 or so revs, there's power, but once you get back out of the range it drops off hugely.

I have a feeling it might be the Mass air flow meter, but i'm really not sure. I've phoned a few Audi garages in the kent area and they want to charge me £126 PER HOUR to check it out and fit a replacement (if it is infact the AFM). I'm told it's not that hard to replace, so has anyone had any expereince with this kind of thing? Is it that easy to replace? is there anything i can do to check that it's really the AFM and not something else?

The power drop is enough to notice my 1.6 Renault (i know, i know, audi's are expensive :eek:P) being a lot quicker.

It's a V reg A3 1.9TDI.
Please help! I may be able to half inch it from the olds if i can fix it!!!

Ta Muchly,
Coleman

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
You made me laugh regarding the kerbs etc.... i can imginet!!

could be a coil pack on the way out.. when these are going down the drive feels lumpy on power and only picks up at about 3500 - 4000 RPM,

Get it on VAG-COM and see what codes have been logged...

Does it run rough on idle??

Cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that Rick.

I've bitten the bullet and swallowed my pride as the car is needing the work doing asap so i dont have time to look around unfortunately.

I've found a local garage thats hugely cheaper than Audi themselves so I'm going to let him do the work.

Apparently It's a common problem - hence the drop in price of the replacement part.

Nevermind!

Thanks again.

Coleman

1 - 6 of 6 Posts