Audi Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Can anyone please suggest me an insurance company; offers the cheapest possible rate for 2005/2006 Audi A3 2.0 TDi Sport Sportback in the UK? I’m expecting the delivery sometimes around mid-December. I have a claim, which I had to make in September this year. Any idea about how much people normally paying for this car?

Many thanks for your suggestions.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Mac,

I've traditionally used Direct Line or Tesco and found them to be the cheapest. My A3 Tdi S Line DSG gets delivered the week after next so I thought I'd have another look around for quotes. After a recommendation by another user of this forum (Mandy I think) I checked out priviledge.
My Tesco insurance usually comes in at around £550 inc business use. Priviledge have just quoted me less than £400! Big saving! Check them out. I have 5 years no claims and 3 points for speeding. I live in Derbyshire (I think, one of the cheapest postcodes) and park the car on my drive.

Good luck but definately check out Tesco, Direct Line and Privilegde and then let us all know how you get on.

Cheers

Rob

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey Robbie, I'm glad to hear you got a good quote from Privilege. I've always found them to be way cheaper for me but I actually managed to get an even lower quote from Admiral so try them too MacUsers. Also, add your partner/wife (if you have one!) and give an annual mileage as low as possible for the best quote. :57:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The problem is I drive a lot, around 23000 miles a year. The cheapest I got, with 1 year no-claim (I lost 2 this year due the claim), one claim and 22000 miles, is around £1050 and that’s from Liverpool Victoria. Do you guys think it gonna be a good idea if I tell them the less milage than I actually do?

I was so excited to think that I gonna get my dream car in a month but almost off now thinking about the insurance. :(

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi!

Mandy, Admiral hey? Right I'll check them out! How's your new pride and joy, is she run in yet?

Mac, the mileage question is a very good one! I've unfortunately been involved in two accidents in six months. The first was a rear collision, an artic hit me whilst i was queing on the M5! Not too serious, 3 or 4 grand later and the repair was complete! In September I was driving up the A46 at around 70Mph when a guy on the phone in an A4 decided to pull out from a sideroad to cross the dual carriageway, approximately 10 metres in front of me!!! The result....two written off cars, a written off lampost, my sternum and two ribs fractured, severe concussion, v nasty whiplash and 3 months of physio!
Anyway, in both accidents my mileage was taken by my insurance company and passed on to the third party. In both accidents it was never questioned. I drive approximately 25K per year but put on my forms 10K, both paid out!
However, neither of these accidents were my fault, it may be different if it was. Having said that, unless the insurance company know the mileage of the vehicle when you start the agreement how will they ever know how many miles you have done in one year? Plus the mileage is always an "estimate"! You could just be bad at estimating! Obviously it is up to you, the decision you make is totally dependant on you, nothing to do with me. It is not my advice that you enter incorrect data to obtain a better quote. (this is me covering my arse lol)
£1000 seems very expensive for a group 11 car! How old are you?

Cheers

Robbie

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Robbie,

I’m not a teenager at all; I’m 31 yrs old, so that's not the case you probably thinking about but maybe other things. Though I’m not sure if that really messing things up.

I’m in this country for almost 5 yrs and got British license last year. Before that I was driving with my country’s driving license. I had 3 yrs no-claim - 2 yrs. from my country (my present insurance company accepted that) and got another year of no claim here, last year. But I my insurance company said that I lost 2 yrs. due the claim I made this September. So, do you guys think that due to only one year of British license, only one yr of no-claim and one claim I’m getting those expensive quotes? It’s really expensive. Any other advise from anybody?

Thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Mac,

That'll be it! The insurance company will be looking at you as an inexperienced driver, even though you actually may not be. You also only have 1 years no claims, 4 years means 75% discount which means if I lost my no claims i'd be paying a similar amount to you! £1,000 plus is expensive but hearing that you only have 1 years no claims I can understand it.
I don't know if you have tried priviledge and admiral? If not please do....I've never found a broker to be cheaper than going direct!!! check out the privilegde website!

Cheers

Rob

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi there,

Priviledge or Admiral comes even more expensive – roughly about £1400. After spending some more time with internet, the cheapest I got is £801 from R&SA Finance (is it Royal & SunAlliance??) so far. Any R&SA ‘experienced’ person out here for sharing comments?

The insurance stuffs are really doggy, beyond my capacity to understand. My present insurance company is quoting me ~£1024 for A3 whilst my wife got £960 including me as additional as a ‘just passed’ driver with no NCD from the very same insurance company. If I cancel my present policy (certainly after that present term) and rejoin the same company including my wife as additional driver, then I get £910 a year. Why they always try to ruin our lives?

One more thing I wanna ask – may I leave my present insurance company without any hassle after completing this year contract?

Thanks in advance again for your comments.

UPDATE:
Just called R&SA to confirm the quote and they said they were having some trouble with ‘internet quoting system’ and the actual price will be £909.47 for A3. Surprisingly, there is no change in price if I add my wife as an additional driver.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Mac,

You will be fine leaving your current company at the end of your contract. Make sure that the policy is not automatically renewed though, they will send you letters about this close to the expiry date. Ask for a proof of no claims bonus/discount letter or certificate.
Looking at the quotes, £900 per year for a person with 1 years no claims on a £20,000 car that is notoriously expensive to repair with high mileage is not too bad you know! I was paying a similar amount a few years back. As soon as the no claims gets racked up you will be laughing.
One thing to try is to ring up R&SA and tell them that you prefer their policy but your current insurance provider are offering you a policy £50 cheaper, say to the telesales person "if you can beat their quote you will renew the policy right now" Then if he can, do go for it.......I don't think you'll get them to drop more than £50 but you can always try! You need to be specific when they ask how much you were quoted by the other company, so say something like £853.17 with a £xxx excess.

Secondly you mention that you lost 2 years no claims. Were you at fault on this claim? If not make sure the new company know that

It's also worth getting protected no claims next time!

Cheers

Rob

·
Registered
6 Posts
Regarding the mileage question - I think it would be very unwise to be less than honest. The insurer could check your current mileage if you were involved in a claim. They could also check historical details from service / MoT records. Is it worth risking them refusing to pay out on a claim?

If you get a quote online its pretty easy to play around with different permutations of annual mileage. I did this a while ago - I don't remember the details but I don't think it made a huge difference to the premium in my case.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Many thanks to rob, nrc and CLARKY for the info and advise. I’ll be updating as things go forward. Just waiting for the ‘delivery date’ from the dealer.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So far, this is the cheapest I got - £843.28 from Liverpool Victoria, covering my wife as an additional driver.
Just a bit of relie.....

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
THE CHEAPEST I HAVE EVER FOUND IS CIS - I USED THIS IN MY YOUNGER DAYS ON GROUP 16 CARS AND STILL ONLY PAID £1200 -

They do an any driver policy which sometimes works out a lot cheaper.. its worth a go...

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
I have just tried CIS for you with some dummy details and it quoted £2k... but if you ring up they can half that i bet..

its because of your no claim discount..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts