Audi Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

New to the site, been floating around other motor sites to try and get some experiences of the problems im having, I brought an Audi A3 last week, 1.8 (not turbo) 2001, with 28k on the clock and full audi service history, car has only done 3k in last year and is due service in Feb, just to give you an overview.

I am finding when driving 70mph, my revs are at 4000rpm which seems really high, the engine is not exceptionally loud but it seems to be consuming petrol, when I brought the car it had a full tank, I topped it up over weekend and it took 15 ltrs and only done 70miles, mpg of 22 roughly which I thought was poor, since I topped up ive done just under 30 miles and the petrol meter is just starting to move. The temp gage is sitting at 1/2 way point, if anything tipping the higher side.

The car is in immaculate condition, but the other sites kep saying theres a problem maybe clutch etc, but I want experiences, my biggest worry is the speedo being dodgy which concerns me with speed cameras etc

Sorry for the long message but I am concerned as never had a nice car and last thing I want is more problems , any advice or previous experiences would be great, garage are adamant the car is in immaculate condition

thanks
Steve

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'll jump on the motor way tonight and check, but I've got a 98 reg, so also a 1st generation, but I'm sure it does almost exactly 4000 at 80 mph. Does anyone know if they changed the gear ratios? or like you suggest clutch is a possible I guess. it would seem that there is a 10mph difference, maybe if you've got a mate he could drive at what his speedo reads as 70 and see if yours reads the same if you follow him. might rule out the speedo. I'll try and remember to post back tomorrow to confirm or not the 4000rev 80 mph.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
davidrb84 said:
I'll jump on the motor way tonight and check, but I've got a 98 reg, so also a 1st generation, but I'm sure it does almost exactly 4000 at 80 mph. Does anyone know if they changed the gear ratios? or like you suggest clutch is a possible I guess. it would seem that there is a 10mph difference, maybe if you've got a mate he could drive at what his speedo reads as 70 and see if yours reads the same if you follow him. might rule out the speedo. I'll try and remember to post back tomorrow to confirm or not the 4000rev 80 mph.
Thanks, had the speedo and engine checked via a diagnostics check on Sun all is OK, it sits at approx 3700 at 70, so sounds about right then?
thanks for the reply, be good to hear from you re your test

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I also have a 1.8 non turbo a3 that also seems to sit at high revs when doing 70 + the fuel consumption is not very good, I get about 240 miles to a tank which is roughly 22mpg. I've tried a new airflow meter as these are a common problem but its still the same and I've also had it read for faults with vag-com but it only showed up a leak on the central locking air system. Did you manage to find the cause of your problem?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi
No I never found out, I had it tested with a mechanic who checked the ECU unit etc and everything was fine, he done a test run aswell but all was OK he said, I get about 22-23 mpg out, same sort of mileage as you, but revs are at 4000 at 70mph, what year is your car, mine is 2001 it may be that age or something of the engines? I was worrie dmaybe my speedo was faulty and I was doing more then 70 but this was all checked and cleared as OK. If you find out anything please let me know and I will do same with you, but ive kinda given up now
Something else ive noticed is the service indicator seems to adjust to your driving style on the A3, i had it serviced 6 weeks ago and it said 10k to next service, it now says 4k to next service, apparently this amends auto based on mileage you drive as ive only done 600 miles since last service, not sure how it works if I start to do more miles?? do you know?
Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mines a 1997 model and it had done 53000 miles when I bought it a year ago. It has now done 59000. I also have started to do a 35 mile motorway journey to work and even on a run the mileage is no better. I did a service and cambelt a few months ago and found the belt was a little loose!! I reset the service indicator and nothing has shown up yet. Another thing I have noticed is that when I pull away normally from the lights I seem to have to thrash it to match speeds of cars such as fiestas.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah, older then mine, mine is 2001 with 30k on the clock, dont have same problem with pullin away, have had issue recently when its cold it stalls when first start up and then starts fine at next start up, very rare but does it now and agin
do you know anything about this tax increase? My car is 190 in CO2 so it looks like my tax may double according to news, will have to sell the car if thi shappens,
ive had service and cam belt but no difference either, even tried different petrol stations but nothing, let me know if anything improves or if you find anything wrong.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts