Audi Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 1998 Audi A6 that I purchased in '99. Absolutly love the car, has 94M miles on it now.

My headlight covers are becoming frosted with age. Any polish or other solutions available other than buying new or aftermarket? Oh yes, they are xenon system.

Stan

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
by frosted to u mean turning yellow or theres foggy in the inside

·
Registered
8 Posts
My A6 has this same problem! I was told at the dealer(Holman Jaguar/Audi) there is a kit for it. To "clear" the light covers. Has anyone heard of this?

The Ikon

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the same problem with my headlights, hazed appearance on the lens. I got some number 1 (very fine) cutting polish for the paint work and polished the lens, it came up as good as new.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same issue. My guy told me to get some really fine sandpaper (~2000 grit, the type for auto paint) and that would take care of it.
Haven't tried it yet though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The kens is plastic so DON'T use any form of sandpaper, only the finest grade of cutting polish for paint. I was tempted to use "Autosol" metal polish but it would have been too harsh. The paint polish will remove the haze very easily.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for saying that. I was a little hesitant about using sandpaper, even if it was the finest grit I could get. I'll check out the paint polish.

·
Registered
5 Posts
items needed:

water
Mild dish soap
Fine wetsand paper
bucket
Rubbing compound
buffer (or hand if you have the engry)

What i did is remove my head lights, wet sand them with soap till it was "consistent".
Rinse rinse rinse!
i started to hand buff them off the vehicle.... but then i did install them back and used a buffer to get the job done.

·
Registered
11 Posts
There is a plastic protective coating on all plastic headlights. The coating gets old and hazes over. I get turtlewax rubbing compound and polishing compound(total of $4) and use a cloth to apply them both starting with the rubbing compound. You really can't "fix" the problem you just remove it. You might notice that you will have to do this every 6 months or so because it will haze over again. Hope this helps

·
Registered
3 Posts
Best Solution

I used the following steps on my 97' BMW 540i

Materials needed:
600, 1000, 1500, & 2000 Grit sandpaper.
Meguier's Plast-X Polish
Polish applicator pad
MicroPolish Towel
Running water( I used the kitchen sink)

Procedure:

1) Remove headlight and clean very well
2) Under running water start with the 600 grit paper. Make sure you use a side to side motion and not a BUFFING motion.
3) Be patient and careful. Use long, even side to side strokes
4) Move on to finer grit of paper, and make sure to keep the lens under slow running water the whole time.
5) After you go through every grit of paper it's polishing time.
6) **DO NOT USE ANY TYPE OF HIGH SPEED BUFFER**
7) Apply a few drops of Plast-X on to the applicator pad and coat the whole lens and let set for a few seconds until liquid is crytalized.
8) Using the microfiber towel buff in a circular motion.

Your done!! Pat your self on the back and go have a beer!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
we had the same problem with ours. We went to Advance Auto Parts and got their lense repair kit and they came out as good as new- It will take about 45 min per headlight but it's so worth it since replacement headlights are about 1200 a piece at the stealership!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yeah It works fine with fine wetsandpaper.
Starts with rougher one and go in three steps to finer.
Finnished with rubbing compound and at least plastic waxsealing.
My headlight went to new after doing this.

//Pierre

1 - 15 of 15 Posts