Audi Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a 98 Audi A6 Quattro for sale locally that "needs work". I'm not familiar with these cars, but I have a lot of background repairing cars. I'm just not sure if this car is going to be worth it...

The guy says the display is fading (or faded) which I guess is a fairly common issue. He says there is something else about the display, or computer that controls it, that causes the anti-lock brakes to not function. He seems to think a replacement display would fix the problems. How costly is the repair if it needs to be done? I'm fairly savvy with electronics, so I'd be tempted to tear into it and try to find bad components myself if it came to that.

The other major issue he pointed out was that the CD player (trunk changer) doesn't work. Could the whoe radio just be replaced with an aftermarket radio?

The car is selling for a "discounted" price, but are these things just a pile of headaches, or do they tend to be fairly reliable other than these issues?

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
how can the anti lovk brakes be linked to the screen, im sure theres a problem with the brakes and to repair the display u have to replace it, it is a common and expensive problem for audi and how much are u getting the car for

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure how the anti lock brakes are tied in, but he said they aren't working and said something about it being related to some display issues. Could be totally seperate though. I don't know these cars specifically so that's why I'm asking what I might be in for. The guy is asking $5500. The car has ~115k on the odo.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
5500 thats not that big of a discount i seen some A6 go for 6000-7000, i say pass on it

·
Registered
63 Posts
stay as far away as you can!!! Electronic problems on Audi's are very expensive to fix. The problem with the ABS is usually inside the ECU!! Very expensive, rather go for another one! please
Corne

1 - 6 of 6 Posts