Audi Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new member to this forum, hoping that someone can shed some light on the problem I'm having with my Audi. I have a 98 a4 Avant 2.8 Auto that I have owned and loved for the past 3 years. My steering has become very vague and
requires constant steering wheel motion to hold a straight line. When turning
in either directing a little play is there that wasn't there a couple of months ago. The Car has 90,000 mile and I have put the Last 40,000 on with NO problems.
Are there any Recalls or Campaigns that I should be aware of.
Could this be a Rack adjustment problem.

Any guidiance will be greatly appreciated.

Audi lover in Alabama. :)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Welcome to the forum, it's a friendly place and we all talk cars.

If you take an hour or so and look at past posts, or search the forums you will see lots of questions about control arms and wear in the front suspension. It would be my first place to look - worn out rubber/bushings in all the front suspension pieces - and there are at least 6 or 8 of them.

If you are going to replace them, get a good manufacturer - not just the cheapest you can find on eBay. My preference is for Meyle, particularly the improved tie rod ends.

Your front end may start making noises too.

On the other hand, it could just be alignment - take it to a good shop and have them put the car on the alignment machine. They can also check all the pieces and tell you if they are loose or worn.

It's a starting point. You can also get under there and start grabbing stuff and see if anything is really loose.

Good luck.

VB

1 - 2 of 2 Posts