Audi Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When coming to a stop, the engine seems to drop significantly in idle. This causes the car to stall. The car is a 98 A4 1.8 T and has a 5 speed tiptronic automatic transmission. The problem only occurs intermitantly. I have taken it to a mechanic, and he claimed to have cleaned the throttle body, replaced spark plugs, re calibrated air flow meter, all to no avail.

Any suggestions..

·
Registered
16 Posts
heya, i had this exact problem before. BAsically your lookin at around £400 rrp to fix the problem properly. I cant remember the name for the life of me, but its an electronic engine rev monitor that wont allow the revs to fall below 600rpm at any time. It also contols the throttle (foot pedal) at low revs - u notice it when parking usually. Does it still do this?
basically this part needs to be replaced
the other way to temporarily fix it, will work on the condition that audi a4's use a drive by wire throttle, rather than electronic throttle. IF it does use a wire, u can increase the distance, by turning 1 single screw, so that the wire travels a bit less.
but something tells me the throttle is electronic cuz i dont remember seeing any moving wire in my a4. If i dont reply to this within a few days, send me an email and il get back to u with name of that rev monitor

·
Registered
1 Posts
Try this it might work for you. Did for me.

Pump the throttle full travel a few times with the ignition turned ON.
Floor the throttle for 10 seconds.
Start the engine (without turning the ignition off again).
This I think resets the throttle travel and it works now for me after 3 seconds.
I used to get all sorts of car reving on its own and stalling etc.
Pretty dangerous.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts