Audi Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

Let me start by thanking you for reading this and saying that I have searched. The car has the CEL light on and is in limp home mode. According to the manual this means that the 5spd auto transmission only operates in 4th gear. Reverse works fine, an when the car is on the highway it runs fine. I was told this may mean the Clutch A housing is bad..
I dont know if or when the transmission fluid was ever changed.
I was going to purchase a VAG-COM from ebay...
The car has 70k on it

Would a fluid/filter/flush help.. do i still have to get the transmission fixed?

HELP.

thanks
gtm
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
u have an auto so u dont have a clutch u have a torque converter and are u sure ur onlu in 4th gear

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no im not sure, but according to the manual its in 4th... When I am starting from a stop if I step on the gas it will rev but the car will not move. I have to slowly apply gas then once i am up to about 70 miles an hour the acceleration feels normal.. for that reason I didnt question it.
Yea its the 5spd auto.. but it still has "clutches" just not the same setup as flywheel..clutch..pressure plate...etc, but Im sure you knew that...

any ideas?

·
Registered
137 Posts
It's sort of hard to say..When you are in limp mode it could be from either the motor or the tranny. I have had a problem with the reverse clutches in my 5 speed tip. I think a good VAG COM scan will help isolate the issue.

·
Registered
137 Posts
It's sort of hard to say..When you are in limp mode it could be from either the motor or the tranny. I have had a problem with the reverse clutches in my 5 speed tip. I think a good VAG COM scan will help isolate the issue.

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
I had a similar problem on my old BMW 3 series with Auto tranny and it went into safe mode .Believe it or not it was down to a wire becoming loose on the back of the accelerator pedal which controlled the kickdown mode.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Looking at my 5 speed tip (2001 m.y.) OBD codes. a P0730 can mean a few things including: ATF level not OK or contaminated, Slipping clutch or solenoid valve contaminated or faulty, short circiut to ground, Transmission control module (TCM) not coded correctly, Sender for transmission input speed G182 faulty, Sender for transmission output speed G195 faulty. I would try the transmission flush and fill first since it is the least costly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Will be flushing it next week... aside from changing the filter, the fluid and the gasket/orings... what other stuff should i address during this procedure?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I drained the fluid, it started off as a dark yellow/green, but once in the bucket it was dark with small contaminents and had that ATF burned smell (like most rental cars with more than 8,000 Miles)

any other ideas?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i was going to do the flush when i noticed this:

do you think this may have anyhting to do with it? I think its from a leaky valve cover?

·
Registered
7 Posts
i have question i have audi a6 2.7tt trip i got this code p0730 the car doesn't run. if i accelerated the car moves and 1 gear and reverse is gone don't work anymore. But work fine 3,4,5 gears.
like a year ago the car i took it to the dealer and they fill transmission oil lil bit. am not sure what it can be for me it can be Slipping clutch. i don't know about (TCM) systems i know the oil transmission is fine. what do u think? it can be?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i think its the main clutch basket thats cracked, same as my car had and i had to get a rebuild. The parts cost me about 550 but they were quality ZF parts and labor was another 500. now it shifts fast and purrs like a kitten.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i bought them at Erikson Industries in Old Saybrook, CT. It was all a special order but they are authentic ZF parts and the guys there are really knowledgable.
shop around, get to know the people doing it, obviously the dealer will charge you a arm and a leg.
Im warning you though, cheapest isnt the best route to go with labor on these things. I know one shop i was going to use, that i have used with my bmws and benzs for more involving repairs.. until i talked to one of the techs about the car and he showed me the exact same transmission as my car has, hiding in the back room under a stack table.. he explained they had the same car come in a year back and they removed it after hours and hours, problems with the exahust..etc, and they opened the transmission and were so dumbfound by it, they ordered another from a junk yard.

·
Registered
7 Posts
hey where u live? i live in CT manchester.I took the car to the shop they say its the whole transmission because clutch destroyed the whole trans...do u believe that? crap. all this dearls are bunch of petty thieves. they say the whole job is 6800 because cuz the clutch is damage.bla bla u know how much is transmission around 1000-2000 with low miles or rebuild.
the dears are charging me 2k juz to install and removing trans...i can removed the transmission around 3.30 hr without help and its normal time without any rush and put it back kind of the same time. if i give the dealers 6hr removed and put back again 6 = 12hr
12x100$inch hr =1200 is still big difference the officially audi charge 1500 and probably I can call the WHOLE state almost i did and they all gonna gave same prizes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i know excatly what youre going through, ive been there.
there is some truth in what they are saying. If the foward drum broke like mine, which is very likely, parts from it stay inthe transmission and can ruin the other working parts. When the car is in limp home mode, the clutches take a beating... so those will have to be replaced.
I would suggest you replace shift sensor located on the passenger side of the tansmission housing near the output shaft, all the clutch plates, seals, fluid, filter, forward drum, the circlips and a few small parts liek the gasket..etc (any shop would normally do those anyway) Get as much of the parts as you can from Eriksson Industries, they will all be special order parts but its worth the wait).

Truth is, the transmission is a btch to drop and reinstall.. you have to remove the exhaust (dual), the front and rear half shafts, all the electronics... it really is a pain...
It sounds like your best bet is to find one of these transmissions used, bring it to a shop have them open it, tell you what parts need to be replaced, order those parts at Eriksson, and then swap the transmissions.
I live in New York. I hope this info helps, this was the last Audi I will ever own, its not worth the headache and time no matter how good the car looks and drives when it actually does run well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
yeah talked to the owner of the shop he told me if i drop the transmission myself and then i take it to them to rebuild the transmission.that lil job cost 4100 total. and doing this i can save money!! this crap don't make any sense they all wants to crew u no matter what. if an used trans cost the most 2k. so i ttul man thanks for ur help was very helpfully i will send pix when the job is done i think audi 2.7tt a6 is one of best cars. but u already know nothing its perfect in this life u get headache anywhere through ur life so we got come up with solution and try to move on to the next chapter.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts