Audi Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So.. I found a 1996 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro Sedan for $6,500... it has 110,000 miles on it but the paint and interrior is perfect, 5 speed manual & all the regular perks (power everything, leather, heated seats n such) Think its a good price? I think so... but I'm not very experienced with it... :huh:

Now.. What I need to know is what to ask the dealer about in particular... I read the other post about the timing belt and water pump and I'll remember to ask about when they were changed, however is there anything that this particular I should check? Like - are there any re-occuring problems that I should make sure have already been handled? I'd LOVE to own the Audi because I'm a huge fan and compaired to my current car its perfect... I just dont want to pay money to keep it running because I plan on having it last for five years until I finish college... Do you think that with the miles on it, it will last that long? Keeping in mind that I will have to drive from NH to FL every year for college.... Well please reply to the post I'd appreciate it!! :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
My car is a year younger than this one and you'd be amazed the number of niggles that have developed in the past year. One of the headlights has a loose connection on a bulb - can't be replaced, needs a whole new headlight. The back wiper doesn't work, the pump has also gone, the front suspension arms have all failed and cost me a fortune. Not to mention the exhaust valve, boost solenoid and mass air meter (although mine is a diesel) which cost even more. The reader coils on the imobiliser that occasionally play up and won't read the key, the lock on the boot which won't lock all the doors also the catch on the boot needs replacing. The fact that at that age the air bags will need replacing, the air conditioning will need an expensive service and that 110,000 miles is a long way for a petrol engine. My diesel has done 200,000 and really is not playing ball anymore. I would have expected a lot more from a diesel and especially from Audi. I don't know what prices Audis usually are in the US but over here that would be the equivalent of £4000 - it wouldn't be worth more than £2500.

Sorry for putting a downer on it - I hope there are Audi owners out there who can say that it might be a good car and could last you the next 5 years but I'm not one of them!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts