Audi Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

1996 Audi A4 2.8

I am having a bit of an issue. I just bought this car from an auction and it came to my attention very quickly that i had no low beam (the high beam works) and no radio. Everything else powers up as it should and the car runs fine.

What i done so far to try to fix problem:
Changed ignition switch
Changed headlights (H7)
Checked the whole fuse box like 4 times for broken fuses
Any help would be greatly appretiated

·
Registered
163 Posts
There is a remote possibility that the radio is unplugged...? Does the radio power on at all? Does it illuminate when you turn on the parking lights?

For the headlights, check your fuses again, pull them out... there are 4 individual fuses just for the headlights, 2 for low beams and 2 for high beams. Also make sure the bulb connectors are properly attached, one of mine was broken and the ground connector was not connecting properly. There should also be a relay somewhere for the headlights, not sure where though. If you havent done so aready, pick up a Haynes manual from an auto parts store, its a good general repair manual and you'll learn a lot about the car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
re

Jared71482 said:
There is a remote possibility that the radio is unplugged...? Does the radio power on at all? Does it illuminate when you turn on the parking lights?

For the headlights, check your fuses again, pull them out... there are 4 individual fuses just for the headlights, 2 for low beams and 2 for high beams. Also make sure the bulb connectors are properly attached, one of mine was broken and the ground connector was not connecting properly. There should also be a relay somewhere for the headlights, not sure where though. If you havent done so aready, pick up a Haynes manual from an auto parts store, its a good general repair manual and you'll learn a lot about the car.
Hey Jared thanks so much for all your help! I will double check behind the radio to see if its plugged in. The radio does illuminate when i turn on the parking lights. I have tripple checked the fuses its crazy how there is 4 different fuses just for headlights. I checked the headlights to make sure they were properly connected after putting new bulbs in.

I think my headlight relay is messed up so i ordered another one.

I will keep everyone posted on what the outcomes of new relay is. This seems to be a rare instance since i havent found any similar problems. Hope i can also help someone else while i am at who has this problem in the future

·
Registered
163 Posts
When the headlight switch is on, and you turn the high beams on, do the highs come on or no? Do the highs only come on if you pull the turn signal lever?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
re

Jared71482 said:
When the headlight switch is on, and you turn the high beams on, do the highs come on or no? Do the highs only come on if you pull the turn signal lever?
The headlights only come on when i have the switch on the on position and i pull back at the turn signal lever..

·
Registered
163 Posts
But if you push the lever forward to "lock" the high beams on, you dont get anything?

The lights should come on when you PULL the lever, weather the headlight switch is on or off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jared71482 said:
But if you push the lever forward to "lock" the high beams on, you dont get anything?

The lights should come on when you PULL the lever, weather the headlight switch is on or off.
So do you think its a headlight switch? The hi beams only come on when when i pull on the lever.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Sounds that way, as the relay is BEFORE the switch.

Here is the headlight diagram, let me know if you need a larger image to read it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jared71482 said:
Sounds that way, as the relay is BEFORE the switch.

Here is the headlight diagram, let me know if you need a larger image to read it.

Whoa thanks so much! I will see if its the switch

·
Registered
163 Posts
Haha, I think I cursed myself by trying to help!! Tonight, after driving for a while with my headlights working fine, I made a pit stop... shut the car off and went in the store... came back out, started the car and went to turn on the headlights... and got nothing. Parking lights come on, but no headlights. High beams only work when I pull on the turn signal lever... so this sounds exactly like your problem. (Front and rear fog lights dont work either)

So i'll be tackling this problem in the morning... I will let you know what and if I come up with anything.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jared71482 said:
Haha, I think I cursed myself by trying to help!! Tonight, after driving for a while with my headlights working fine, I made a pit stop... shut the car off and went in the store... came back out, started the car and went to turn on the headlights... and got nothing. Parking lights come on, but no headlights. High beams only work when I pull on the turn signal lever... so this sounds exactly like your problem. (Front and rear fog lights dont work either)

So i'll be tackling this problem in the morning... I will let you know what and if I come up with anything.
I just put in the relay and that wasnt the problem... so you were right about the switch. I ordered mines off ECStuning for $130 was there a cheaper way to get this switch? I also tried salvage yard and ebay and got nothing.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Ok, replaced the switch and all is well... headlights work just fine now.

I purchased mine locally for $50... thought it was just going to be the turn signal/headlight switches, but it had the wiper switch too. So if anyone needs a wiper switch, I have an extra now.

Also, if you are able to return the one you got, they have a couple more for the same price... used obviously, but the price isnt too bad if you ask me. I can pick one up and send it to you, you'll just have to pay a little for shipping too, like $5 more.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jared71482 said:
Ok, replaced the switch and all is well... headlights work just fine now.

I purchased mine locally for $50... thought it was just going to be the turn signal/headlight switches, but it had the wiper switch too. So if anyone needs a wiper switch, I have an extra now.

Also, if you are able to return the one you got, they have a couple more for the same price... used obviously, but the price isnt too bad if you ask me. I can pick one up and send it to you, you'll just have to pay a little for shipping too, like $5 more.
aawww that sucks i paid for extra shipping too to get here by tomorrow i should of asked if you knew where i can get them cheaper. ECS has a 15% restocking fee plus i would have to eat up the shipping cost and in fact i think they have a 50% restocking fee on the switch.
Seems like that would fix my headlight problem when i put it in. I want to put an after market radio instead of stock one... What are you running?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I actually just dropped in a Blaupunkt "Bahamas" MP46, got it from crutchfield for $160 shipped. Its a very simple unit, has almost an OEM look to it, which is why I wanted it, plus the fact that its built very nicely. I recently put the same one in a friends car and liked it enough to get one for myself. Its connected to the blow-se (bose) stereo right now and dosent sound that great, but Im just waiting for my front component speakers to come so I can switch everything over.

·
Registered
2 Posts
lights

i have the same exact problem, walked out of my house and my headlights were not working, neither do my fog lights and ony the high beams work when i pull the light lever back and hold it.

sounds like its a common problem, i dont know if it may help but about a week back i cleaned the injectors in my 98 a4, and i had my check engine light on, so i reset the car by disconecting the battery and that problem went away but two days later my lights went out can this have something to do with the fact that i reset the car's electrics!????

1 - 17 of 17 Posts