Audi Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My A6 2.8 is using a quart of oil every two weeks. Under normal city driving conditions. No apparent leaks, no drip on the driveway. No blue smoke or burning oil smell from the exaust. My first thought is valve guide/stem seals. I have never had the valve covers off of this engine. It currently has 141,000 miles on it. We bought it last spring. It's a great car, want to get the oil consumption probelm solved. Anyone have a simular problem? What was the fix?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Apart from valve stems, piston rings and various gaskets, you should check the crankcase ventilation system (CCV). It has a filter with the purpose of retaining oil and returning it into the crankcase. If it gets clogged, then it will let oil pass into the intake where it will contaminate everything on the way into the cylinder. Fix this ASAP!

I did not know this, and I only noticed the problem when my car started to smoke really bad. It was eating oil like a liter per week (had some leaks, too). Had to disassemble clean and rebuild the entire engine, a real PITA.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine was using oil, and I saw no drips, plugs were clean, and no smell on exhaust.
It was leaking out of the filler cap, and somehow dissappearing. I bought a new cap gasket, and now it is fine. There was, of course, a telltale dribble under the oil filler cap.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Unfortunately I too have this problem with my wife's 1995 A6Q. From the day we got it 6 years ago, oil consumption had been a bit high. More recently it has increased, but with 140,000 miles its almost time to fiond her a new ride. I can see an oil stain on the right rear of the engine and an occasional smell due to oil burning off the exhaust manifold I believe we may have a head gasket that is a bit leaky. Also compression is lower on that cylinder also. I am just adding oil as required.

·
Registered
1 Posts
oil sensor

another problem i found with a6 is the oil sensor. at first, car started to loose oil but most of it was burning away and later the symptoms just got worse. By the time i found the problem, the fix was only about $175.00 bucks with oil change and part. the sad part is, stupid part is under $30 bucks and its notorious on Audi and VW to fail over time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts