Audi Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Decided to join up to see if I could get some expert advice on why my 93 Audi Coupe 16valve is running so poorly.
Basically it is doing about 17 mpg and that's driving everywhere at about 40 mph.
There seems to be a flat spot at about 2000 rpm and when you pull away the car seems to lack power. I have replaced HT Cap, rotor arm and plugs to no avail.
I was hoping that it was going to be the Lambda sensor but when it had an MOT a few days ago it passed the emissions test with no problems. The guy actually said the emissions were dead right.
Is it possible it could still be the Lambda or is it something else.
The car definitely isn't leaking fuel so I am at a loss as to what the problem is!
Anyone have any ideas?

Regards,

Martyn

·
Registered
74 Posts
martyn---check the timing belt hasnt jumped a tooth ---the gf;s golf had similar symptoms--- other than that may be a fuel pressure problem

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi there 16V,

Many thanks for the reply.
Is checking the timing belt a simple job?
Also, what should I be looking for?
I know when I bought the car (and it was running smoothly) the guy said he had recently fitted the a new timing chain (belt?) himself - so maybe he did a bad job and you've sussed the problem!
Any more info you have would be greatly appreciated an dthanks for your help so far.

Regards,

Martyn

·
Registered
74 Posts
yes it is simple if you know what you are doing!!!!!!!!

which engine have you got ACE ADR ABK AAE or AAD??? the difference between them is the tensioner

there are marks on the crankshaft and intermediate shaft pulleys that should line up together when no1 cylinder is at TDC-- and a mark on the timing belt cover on the camshaft sprocket--- the actual process of ensuring everything is lined up correctly is better explained in the haynes manual(its easier with pictures)-- when the previous owner replaced the belt did he fit a new tensioner??????

also another thing to check maybe is the air intake fittings if one is leaking or not fitted correctly it will give you similar symptons but if it ticks over without cutting out i doubt it

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello,
I riched this forum looking for answer for the same problem. My '93 Audi 80 B4 2.0L ABK has a very big fuel consumption and the torque is not as it should be. It also happens that when I pull the acc pedal it lacks power and only then it begins to pull.
I changed the lambda sensor and also when I bought it I changed the timing belt(this is the distribution, right?). Someone from other forum told me that the temp sender could be the problem because one of the temp senders is used by the ECU. If this sender is faulty, the ECU could give a rich mixture - for warming up, but the engine would be fully warmed up and not need the enrichment. But I do not know where this is located and how can I check it if it is indeed broken.
Any ideas??
10x a lot

1 - 5 of 5 Posts