Audi Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1993 90 5-speed Front wheel drive. A few weeks ago, it started to hesitate under highway speed acceleration. going from 2nd to 3rd to 4th gear felt like engine disengaged. It kind of paused although I had my foot on the gas. It happened once or twice and then was fine.

Last week, after sitting all day at work, I got like two blocks down the road and at a stop light, the idle seemed to drop and try to settle somewhere. On the green light, it was like the gas pedal wasn't connect and whether it was in gear or not, the low idle seemed like it was going to cut off. I had to put on my hazards and pull over to the curb because it didn't want to go. It cut off and then I restarted it. It was like it was out of gas but I had at least a quarter of a tank. I made it to a gas station added some gas and checked the oil. The oil was low and i added that also. After 30 minutes of sitting it started fine and I made it home. 15 miles away.

Today after going to the car wash, it happened again. I was going a few miles when at a light, the idle dropped as I sat at a light and would move the car. Even taking it out of gear and stepping on the gas did nothing. It felt like it was out of gas. And it felt like the car couldn't get either gas or air. Like it was smothered.

Any ideas? It happened after one day I had to get cheaper gas. That's what I thought it was. Now I have no idea what it can be. An air filter? a tune up? gas cleaner?

I had the fuel filter replaced a couple months ago. Can anyone help? An hour ago, I started it and it idled real low and rough again. I turned it off, turned it back on and it was fine. sound like anything?

thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same problem! Any solution? I have not changed the filter, but I have changed the plugs distributor air filter, cleaned the IVS. Any solutions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Ariem...Greg here...it sounds like a bad temp sensor which is putting the car into limp mode. I am assuming this is the V6? It could also be the O2 sensors or even a clogged cat converter. Try with the simple and cheap fixes first. Give the car a fresh tune up. Change the plugs,wires,dist cap,dist rotor, air filter and fuel filter. Also might not be a bad idea to changer the temp sensors and O2 sensors. Good luck and post back if you need more info. Cheers!

Greg!

·
Registered
Audi coupe b3 2.3e1990 and Audi coupe b4 2.3e 1993
8 Posts
IHK 11. I cant be sure but i have a 80 coupe and had a similar problem. I had a isv idle stabilizer valve that had one clogged hose and one with a split in it. I cleaned the blocked hose and replaced the one with the split and it was much better. Also not sure if the 90 is the same but i had a metreing head hose like a big rubber plastic cover that goes on top of the air flow metre and if this is split or worn and doesnt fit flush on the air flow metre your car will hesitate and struggle to be responsive and idle all over the place. theres a hose from the isv that goes into this metreing head hose as well. If i was you id take it all off and either replace or clean it. I hope you fix it. Good luck!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts