Audi Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Just recently picked up bargain 89 Audi 90 2.2E at auction with 100K genuine miles on clock. Goes brilliant and have had a couple of little jobs fixed. All mates who know motors cannot believe the car's condition: it's the tidiest any one has seen for its age. I've just taken it on a trouble free 250 mile round trip.

On getting back though I'm getting a bit concerned about over-heating. Was worried in first days of having it because electric fan seemed to come on too much, but i've been told not to be concerned about that. This morning, though, I was driving up a hill and I got the temperature warning light which was a bit of a worry. Parked up, left to cool for half an hour, and then had to get to work so drove another 15 mins. Light stayed off.

Have checked the coolant level and it seems to me a little light possibly. Worried about everything possibly from coolant leak or head gasket problem or whatever.

Any help most appreciated.

many thanks

Cheers

RH

·
Registered
3 Posts
Overheating issues

Hey!
I was having the same issues with my 90' Audi 90. If the temperature warning light comes on, do not drive your car extensively. The problem could be several things (low coolant like you suggested), the thermostat (around $20 dollars US from websites), the actual connection for the radiator fan itself, or at worse, a blockage in the radiator itself, a coolant leak or the head gasket. In my case, the radiator was blocked, and needed to be replaced. Try topping off the coolant and see if the problem persists. Be sure to use coolant recommended only by your Manual, other coolants might not do the job.

Driving during very hot days might also trigger the light to come on, especially if going up a tough hill.

If the problem does persist, it could mean that the thermostat is not functioning properly, the head gasket could be blown. or the radiator itself might need to be replaced. I hope this helps! If you have any more questions, take it to a mechanic and find the issue =D

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would make sure the previous owner did not put in 100% antifreeze. The strong stuff needs 50% water for proper mix if in cold climate. Too much antifreeze can cause overheating. It should read about -35F. Too easy?.. Well. Would be a cheap fix. Good Luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts