Audi Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am trying to identify the real source of the overheat issue. First, I am not able to get the fan to turn via the normal sensor. Any help in identifying the location of the sensor? I have tracked down a frustrating ground issue to get the fan working at all. Now I can force the fan on with the AC switch, but still have the overheating issue. Found and replaced a leaking coolant hose and also notes that the top radiator hose connection has broken off shorter than original. See pic. I am able to hold pressure and drive with what appears to be a normal heat up cycle, Heater core heats up quickly and gets very hot, but it just keeps going too hot on the temp guage, and then (AC= fan on) the boiling noises are my indication that it is time to shut down. I think I have burped all air from system. I am affraid that it may be a sticky Tstat or some of the bits from the deteriorating radiator plastic has caused a restriction.
Any input on trouble shooting experience would be appreciated. Any one have a good diagram of the cooling system function? I have never done a Tstat on this car, and it sounds like it is as much work as the complete tear down of the front of the motor for a water pump and tbelt job??? Any feedback on the labor involved ? TIA Scott.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
reply too my own post with some ?'s answered

I jumped the gun on a few questions. I think I have found the location of the Tstat housing. See pic. I also have identified the sensor for the fan/temp control. I have not tested the sensor, but wanted to update this thread quickly. If anyone would confirm my findings, that would be great as it that will leave a thread that others can use. I will update the thread to post my end results so there will be something for others too search out and answer the questions I was searching for. Scott

Attachments

·
Registered
722 Posts
Hey sostahoe...Greg here.First off welcome to the forums...glad to have you aboard. Yup you got it. That is the sensor for the fan operation and yes that's the T-Stat location. I would replace the T-stat and the sensor and see where your at. Also...there is another temp sensor right near the T-stat housing...i would also replace that aswell. All these parts are cheap and the labour to do the job is not that bad at all. Good luck and post back...cheers!

Greg!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts