Audi Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: I have an 87 audi 5000 2.2 liter manual trans and 175000 miles. I just got this car and have had it fror 2 weeks. When driving at aprox 2800 RPM's the engine will sometimes hickup or sputter as if gas is if the flow of gas is very briefly inturpted. Could this be just a fule filter? The car has no leaks and had a recent tune up, although I saw nothing about a new fuel filter. Also recently, again when I am traveling (usually on the freeway) a noise will sound very quickly and short like the squeel of a loose belt. But the belts all appear to be tight. What might this be? It doesn't appear to be related to the fuel problem however I'm not ruling it out. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I think that squeel sound could be the water pump, they like to do that. It could be breaking, just check for water leaks against engine block near the waterpump. I also think it is the petrol filter that is blocked causing the engine to hiccup, please check your water pump. He could also maby cause the engine to hiccup because it uses engine power to keep it going it could be ceasing up (Physics) I hope this info help you
Corne

·
Registered
32 Posts
AudIvan said:
:confused: I have an 87 audi 5000 2.2 liter manual trans and 175000 miles. I just got this car and have had it fror 2 weeks. When driving at aprox 2800 RPM's the engine will sometimes hickup or sputter as if gas is if the flow of gas is very briefly inturpted. Could this be just a fule filter? The car has no leaks and had a recent tune up, although I saw nothing about a new fuel filter. Also recently, again when I am traveling (usually on the freeway) a noise will sound very quickly and short like the squeel of a loose belt. But the belts all appear to be tight. What might this be? It doesn't appear to be related to the fuel problem however I'm not ruling it out. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help!
I would look inside your fuel tank. There's a tendency to get much corrosion and stuff there which will tend to starve your in fuel tank electric pump or even cause it to completely plug up and eventually fry itself.. Entry is via Trunk. There are fuel screens on the pump and also in the plastic tank fuel return device at the bottom of the tank, where crud loves to accumulate!

·
Registered
32 Posts
AudIvan said:
I would look inside your fuel tank. There's a tendency to get much corrosion and stuff there which will tend to starve your in fuel tank electric pump or even cause it to completely plug up and eventually fry itself.. Entry is via Trunk. There are fuel screens on the pump and also in the plastic tank fuel return device at the bottom of the tank, where crud loves to accumulate!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Don't let me get you enthusiasts too overly concerned about dirty fuel tanks. They are rather easy to remove and clean. Say, yesterday I found an 1985 5000 Turbo with a squeaky clean gastank. From it, and at a good price I now have the immaculate fuel pump and the big rubber grommet it seats into for my own 85 5000Turbo restoration project.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts