Audi Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My one year old Avant has only had one mechanical problem. About once every few weeks I'll be pulling away from a stop and it will stick in first or 2nd gear (while in economy auto mode).

If I switch to manual then back to auto mode it upshifts normally.

Naturally the dealer has not been able to duplicate the problem but I was told last fall that "Audi is aware of the issue and is working on a fix". Since then, no further info either from Audi or the dealer.

Curious if anyone else had had the same problem.

Thanks, RTN1

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No problems with any fluid levels (and I have not had oil usage issues as others have reported). Seems more like an electronic/programming glitch to me. Happens during moderate acceleration, but like I said, only once every few weeks.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
The problem lies with the valve chest or mechatronics as its now known for Stronic or multitronic.
Small pieces of the valve chest breakaway and block the oil flow.
In some cases a simple flush sorts it out and in others a new chest is required.
This used to common with low mileage 8k a5/a4 on average the mileage ws below 5000 miles.

A production chip has blocked the valve to the shim set control. The shim set is in overdrive (high gear) and can no longer be controlled in the under drive direction (low gear). The clutch is thus used for a long time in slip in order to start up. As a result, the gear oil temperature becomes very hot and there is an memory entry. After this, the clutch is opened before it burns. As a result of starting in a high gear, there is very little acceleration.

Also consider this

After changing gear the vehicle doesn't pull away in D or R. The engine hardly responds to the accelerator and only runs at idle speed. Despite operating the accelerator there is no or only a minor change on the rev counter. The power transmission starts 2 to 5 seconds after selecting the gear, sometimes with jerks.

After switching the ignition off and on the power transmission is normal again.

This can be resolved by flashing the ecu and your dealer should have the information.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dear A8Tech,

Thanks for your comments but I think maybe you've misunderstood the problem.

There is no evidence of clutch slippage, and the problem is not that the car starts out in a high gear. Rather, the car starts out properly in first or second, but will not upshift as the revs and speed increase. A quick flip of the shifter over to manual and back to drive (either economy or sport mode) and the upshifting works fine until the next episode, which can be several weeks later.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts