Audi Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since Im new to this forum bare with me if this was covered somewhere else, I tried searching around. I posted this at HIDPlanet and didnt get much of a response other then telling me that its the Body Control Module.

I just installed an H7 conversion kit in my gfs 07 A4. Everything seems to work except after a half an hour of running they start flickering real bad. This isnt just one but both of them, like a strobe light. Ive run through everything to figure out the problem and nothing adds up. I ran the supplied harness also. I have the same kit in my 04 Mazda 6 and it was fine without a harness. I made that attempt with hers in the beginning and it was flickering when the car was started. SO, after that I installed the harness and thought it was fine. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Not to mention they set off a few different lights on the dashboard....traction control, srs, brake light. *I read about some mentioning of a work around for this but cannot find any instruction. Any help would be great. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
T-sport said:
Where did you buy the kit from?? You may have bought a faulty one??
I bought it from Visionbulbs.com. They told me to try and determine if the ballasts are bad and they would replace them. The thing Im wondering is what is causing all the dash lights to trip out. She still has yet to take it back the dealer. I was just wondering what this work around is I keep hearing about?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Sounds like the ballasts and the some of the cars computers dont like eachother. HID systems emit a lot of interference because of them operating at such high voltages. The OEM HID headlights use D1S bulbs, which are fully shielded, as well as the ballast-to-bulb cables, this will eliminate any RF interference.

As for them flickering, it does sound like a problem with the ballasts. If they're both powered from a relay harness, they should get the proper power they need as long as the relay is triggered. Also make sure the power and ground connections are very good, the power wire should go right to the battery. HID "strobing" is normally caused by low voltage or a bad ballast.

I dont want to get into a pissing match or anything, but there should have never been a HID kit put in the car to begin with. Best way to go is OEM, best output and best reliability... not to mention legal and wont blind other drivers. I think if she can afford a brand new a4, she could have had the option HID lights as well. =)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Heres an update. Since then I had pulled the ballasts from my Mazda and ran them in her car........made it a mile and no luck. Finally decided to pull the bulbs and replace them with the halogens. Since it became dark while doing this, after inspecting them in the house, in some light, I found one of the diodes along the side of the bulb to be cracked.

I happen to have an extra bulb, so all well. I understand the views on OEM, not my choice. She never wanted them, didnt care either way. I decided to do it as a Chirstmas gift for her since I had them in my Mazda. I sure wasnt going to fork out the money for an upgrade from Audi. ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Perhaps you figured out how to fix that. I had Mazda 6 before Audi. My dad gave it to me. It had a reliable Mazda Carburetor which didn't had trouble ever since. Just complaining about my Audi carburetor now ansd some other parts. I was thinking if I should get that Mazda back..:rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts