Audi Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Audi A6 3.2. Automatic. It has 5000 miles. The transmission shifts hard when starting out or going slow. It appears to be when its shifting up or down in the first 2 gears. I describe this as a thunk. It is fairly severe but intermittent when the car is warming up.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so what was the cure?

Thanks,

Lenny

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just had it in for service. They said they updated the software on the transmission.
We have been driving it a week and it still has the same problem.
I'm going to bring it back to the dealer and see if I can take them on a test ride.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still having the problem with the transmission. We brought it to the dealer to test drive a week and a half ago. They have had it in the shop since then. They agree that there is a problem. They said they might have to replace the transmission but before they can do that they have to do everything that Audi tech tells them to.

It seems that 11 days in the shop is a long time. The only saving grace is that they have given us a loaner car.

Lenny

·
Registered
256 Posts
I know what you mean oh my brother. When I had troubles with my tranny, the dealer took ~ 2 weeks going back and forth with Audi Tech. I'm sure that your loaner is much better than the '90 Merc wagon I had. Hang in there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have same problem with 2005 a6 3.0tdi_quattro automatic
2004 a3 1.6 automatic from istanbul
in the first and second gear up or down is so heavy and hard sometimes
but I see that in automatic Drive mode in first gear and automaticy shift up to second gear in heavy traffic without gas sometimes the transmission severe reaction I cant take aa reply from service
AND
I soften to transmission the shift up or down gear like that I give little gasss while shift up or down in MANUEL MODE but in automatic mode I cant say same thing
apologise for my eng.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just got car back the other day. Just over 3 weeks in the garage.

They said they replaced the mechatronics unit. It has something to do with the shifting of the transmission.

It's running great. Just like new. It shifts really smooth.

Lenny

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We had the car back for 1 week and it ran great. Then it started happening again.
Shifts hard going from 2nd to 3rd and when shifting down from 4th to 3rd.

We brought it back and they agreed their was a problem. They said they would probably replace the transmission.

I called back 2 days later and they said that Audi tech said they should re-program the transmission again.

I was feed up! A friend who used to work for the dealership gave me the name of the owner of the dealership group and the name of one of the General Managers.

I called the GM and he was very unhappy about what has been happening. He said he would check into it and call me back. 15 minutes later he called me back. He assured me that they would fix it right. He said Audi was normally reluctant to replace the transmission, but said that in this case it was time.

We are suppose to get the car back this Thursday.

Hope all goes well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm new to this forum and have already posted this but when I read about your bad experience, I have to share mine with you. I purchased a 2006 A8L W12 about 2 months ago. It has a random hard downshift problem. It happens when decelerating below 40mph but it is entirely random...doesn't happen every time. I may drive it for an hour and no hard downshifts and again I may drive it for 10 minutes and experience 3 or 4. When it happens there is a loud clunk and the car drops violently into a lower gear. I have had it to the dealer several times (5 days) and they can not duplicate the malfunction with their diagnostic equipment. Therefore they will not do anything to repair it...even though the service manager has experienced the hard downshift. The service manager tells me that Audi will not let them replace any components unless they show bad on their diagnostic equipment. I wrote Mr Johan de Nysschen, Audi of America, and received a "nothing" answer. I also talked with Annette Johnson in the Audi Executive Offices and the bottom line is that Audi is unwilling to try to repair the vehicle unless a component shows bad on their diagnostic equipment. So I have a $130k car with a bad transmission and Audi is unwilling to honor the warranty and repair it. At this point I haven't decided what to do next.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is sounds like the same problem that I was having.

We have had the car back for just a couple of days and the problem seems to be gone.

I believe talking to the General Manager really helped.

It's a very large dealership. They sell Audi, BMW, Infinity, Toyota, GM etc.

He said flat out that I shouldn't be having the problem and responded.

Lenny

1 - 10 of 10 Posts