Audi Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my 05 A6 in November 04 and love it. I've got just about 10K on it and was planning to take it in for its 2nd oil change, but was told by the dealer (and the maintenance book) that its next scheduled maintenance isn't until 15K. Now, I'm new to the luxury car class, synthetic oil and German engineering, but 10K between oil changes seems like a stretch. Dealership told me they would charge $75-$80(!) to change the oil off schedule, and it sounds like (from other posts) I don't want to be trying to do it myself or taking it into a Jiffy Lube. Am I overly concerned here? Any advice?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
10,000 is a safe interval for an oil change for a normally driven car. i have mine done at the dealer every 5000 and i'd recomend you doint the same.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply. So is "change your oil every 3K" an auto/oil industry sham? Does $80 for the 5K oil change seem steep to you based on your experience? What makes it so expensive...the process, the oil, the labor rate or all of the above?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
if you're using good oil (mobil 1, etc) 3000 miles is uncessaraly soon. 10000 seems too long for the miles/how hard i drive, so i do one at 5 to be safe.

oil changes from the dealership are basically a rip ... you can do an oilchange yourself for about $40. I'll change my own oil whenever i have time, but thats usually not very often, so i take my cars to an independent euro dealer that i'd trust with my life, let alone my car.

OEM audi oil filter - $7.00 (mail order, will be around $20 from teh dealer)
7qts. Oil - $30-40 depending on the brand, etc ( i use mobil 1 5W-40 or 0W-40)

so thats $47 max. to do it yourself.

everyone KNOWS it there isnt 2-3 hours of labor involved when doing an oil change, but the dealer can get away with it.

so, make the call... make sure if you take it somewhere else its a well recomended, great quality indepent euro mechanic, or the dealer.

or.. do it yourself :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good perspective and advice. Thanks. I like every 5K, so if anyone knows a good independent shop in Fairfield County, CT, drop me a line.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts