Audi Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 S4 Avant 6 speed. For the last few months, when I haven't driven the car for 8-12 hours, the car doesn't start right away. I thought the problem was with the clutch since that has to be depressed for the car to start. The dealer replaced the clutch switch and ignition switch to no avail. It doesn't seem like the battery is the problem as their is no sound whatsoever from the engine compartment when the car won't start to mimic a weaked or dying battery (i.e. no continuous cranking sound, etc)When the problem occurs, to get the car to start, the key has to be turned more than my wrist can rotate to the point my key on the remote snapped off. The two local dealers cant find/reproduce the problem when I have brought the car to them. Once the car does start, I can drive a couple of miles, turn the car off and it starts immediately thereafter with little effort or torquing of the key. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
its the battery, or the terminals. If its starting up right away after u turn it off, it has to be the battery or teminals. I had this problem in my eclipse I found it happened in the cold wheather, im not sure if its the same for german cars, but i know jap cars, their terminals are very sensitive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm having exactly the same problem with my B6 S4 not starting after 8-12hrs.
The problem seemed to be exasperated by cold conditions and I was wondering if a solenoid in the ignition was freezing or sticking.
Like you, the problem was only on the first start of the day.
Gave the car to Audi in Glasgow and they couldn't diagnose it.
However the next day upon trying to start it again, after holding round the key for about 1 min there was a billow of smoke came out the bonnet!!!
Should be fairly easy to diagnose now. Look for the melted bit!!
Getting someone to look at it hopefully tomorrow but at the moment it's just £22k worth of garden furniture!!
I'll let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just got my car back, they replaced the starter as per other member suggested, solenoid in the ignition was sticking. Car starts fine now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts