Audi Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this on the NHTSA web site. Seems some early model 3.2's had poor assembly in the clutch. I just purchased mine about 2 months back and wasn't told anything. Sent my dealer a request and asked if it was affected by this recall and was it taken care of. Any one have a web I can go to and search by VIN? Although I have the factory and extended warranty, and it is a pre-owned certified vehicle I would still feel better knowing. Any recall/warranty experiences would be greatful.

THX

Steve

·
Registered
3 Posts
For those that don't want to look:
Code:
Make : AUDI 	Model : TT 3.2 	Year : 2004
Manufacturer : VOLKSWAGEN OF AMERICA, INC  
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 04V007000 Recall Date : DEC 19, 2003
Component: POWER TRAIN:CLUTCH ASSEMBLY
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 145
Summary:
ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES WITH DIRECT SHIFT GEARBOX, DURING THE PRODUCTION OF THE GEARBOX, A SEAM AT THE CLUTCH WAS NOT WELDED TO SPECIFICATIONS. THIS COULD LEAD TO DEGRADED PERFORMANCE OF THE CLUTCH INSIDE THE GEARBOX.
Consequence:
THE CLUTCH COULD LOSE ITS ABILITY TO PROVIDE INPUT TORQUE TO THE TRANSMISSION WITHOUT PRIOR WARNING, WHICH COULD ALLOW THE VEHICLE TO ROLL, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE CLUTCH. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN ON APRIL 30, 2004. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT AUDI AT 1-800-822-2834.
Notes:
VWOA RECAL NO. JA. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION’S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
a little research shows that the problem plagues only ~150 of models shipped to the US.. 95% of the imported cars have been fixed. Couldnt find any info on models shiped elsewhere

·
Registered
149 Posts
<_<
I couldnt find anything about it on the Audi site and so sent off a question to them about it. Still not had any feedback. Thanks for the input Endoplasmic.

·
Registered
10 Posts
While there may have been "defective welds" in the twin clutch of the first 3.2 dsg's that came into the USA, there seems to be something more nefarious underfoot with this recall.

All (almost) of the first batch of TT 3.2's were held in port for this clutch issue. Audi actually held the cars in port to replace the entire clutch and transmission assemblies on the cars.

The REAL reason (IMHO) they did this was to disable the launch control feature on North American cars. AoA apparently did not want to be liable if you used it stupidly and crashed, got a ticket, whatever and they did not want to have to warrant the clutch with this feature enabled.

I know because my coupe made it through with launch control intact. When I took it in for the recall work, Audi disabled the launch control. They admit they did this, but would not have the courtesy to tell me why in writing. :angry:

All of the later cars had the "lc" disabled at the factory. As far as I know there were 2 customer cars that had working launch control. There is apparently one TT in the US with an operating launch control, but it belongs to a big-shot who has connections with upper management at Audi.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Originally posted by BuddyDog@Dec 8 2004, 01:36 AM
While there may have been "defective welds" in the twin clutch of the first 3.2 dsg's that came into the USA, there seems to be something more nefarious underfoot with this recall.

All (almost) of the first batch of TT 3.2's were held in port for this clutch issue. Audi actually held the cars in port to replace the entire clutch and transmission assemblies on the cars.

The REAL reason (IMHO) they did this was to disable the launch control feature on North American cars. AoA apparently did not want to be liable if you used it stupidly and crashed, got a ticket, whatever and they did not want to have to warrant the clutch with this feature enabled.

I know because my coupe made it through with launch control intact. When I took it in for the recall work, Audi disabled the launch control. They admit they did this, but would not have the courtesy to tell me why in writing. :angry:

All of the later cars had the "lc" disabled at the factory. As far as I know there were 2 customer cars that had working launch control. There is apparently one TT in the US with an operating launch control, but it belongs to a big-shot who has connections with upper management at Audi.
I've always wanted to know what launch was like... I mean when i put the pedal on the car freaking FLIES I can't even imagine launch... I'm sure there is a way to put it back in :) But I want to know in comparrison to "S" mode how does it feel?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Originally posted by Endoplasmic@Dec 7 2004, 09:42 PM
I've always wanted to know what launch was like... I mean when i put the pedal on the car freaking FLIES I can't even imagine launch... I'm sure there is a way to put it back in :) But I want to know in comparrison to "S" mode how does it feel?
In the launch mode (at a stop), the car revs up to 3200 rpm, then you take your foot off the brake and off it flies. The other difference with the launch mode is the car holds first gear and will not automatically upshift.

I tried it one time and it was unbelelieveably fast. It also breaks traction on all 4 wheels!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by BuddyDog@Dec 7 2004, 09:47 PM
In the launch mode (at a stop), the car revs up to 3200 rpm, then you take your foot off the brake and off it flies. The other difference with the launch mode is the car holds first gear and will not automatically upshift.

I tried it one time and it was unbelelieveably fast. It also breaks traction on all 4 wheels!
Too cool. I'm inveous. Thanks to all who replied. I finally got a response from my dealer and the email states my car was not affected. Sure have to wonder with a 10-2003 build date. Anyway, car runs/feels great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts