Audi Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
yeah its not hard at all.. we were talking about this before... search the forum, theres some info somewhere about how to change the bulb

·
Registered
3 Posts
I couldn't find the answer/thread to this forum question so went and bought a bulb, and just had a go on my 2002 Audi A4 Avant 1.9tdi. Here's my experience.

I had the dipped beam headlamp bulb fault message shown for the passenger side headlight unit, so did not need to remove the air filter first as would have been the case if it were on the drivers side.

My first error was I replace the wrong bulb! I attacked the main beam bulb in error - but in case it is of interest to anyone this is how I replace the main beam bulb first.
I pushed downward on the metal clip which released the plasic cover to allow access to the bulb. I couldn't withdraw the plastic cover out of the way completely, but did manouver it backwards enough to get it out of the way and allow limited hand access to the bulb.
With the blade of a normal screwdriver firstly I prised the cable fitting a mm or 2 off the back of the bulb. I could then finish unclipping the wires with my fingers (just). Again with the s/driver I flicked and unclipped the paperclip like bulb retention clip. This was fiddly but just about maneagable in the limited working space. I then carefully with my fingers lifted out the bulb, and similarly replaced it with a new unit with my fingers.
The most fiddly part of the whole operation was then to get the wire bulb-retaining clip back on the back of the bulb. It just wouldnt catch at first, so I made a simple tool from a 12"" piece of half inch diameter wood which i grooved a slight u on the top of. I used this groove to locate on to the wire clip and then very easily manoeverd the clip back into place where it secured the bulb in position.
The back cover went back on without hitch, as did the wire cover clip.
Job done, took about 40 mins - but I then found I had replace the wrong bulb. :w00t:

So on to the next bulb replacement. The dipped beam bulb:
This is located further into the wing area, and to get access to this part of the back of the headlight I had to firstly unclip and remove the oil cap housing (very easy) and pull some wiring looms aside a bit. The rest was straighfoward, the back plate clip came off easily , as did the back plate which was easy to remove completely out of the way. This bubl retention clip is more accessible and easy to undo and redo up after replacing the bulb with you fingers alone. Getting the back plate back into position did take a couple of tries before success though.

So, for a non technical guy like me I would say yes, do avoid those dealers costs by replacing your own headlight bulbs, but be patient, allow yourself a good half hour to an hour per bulb the first time you tackle the job, and make sure you have good lamp to illumnate your working area.

This is my frst ever posting - hope it is useful

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
below is the post i updated a while back regarding the replacment of headlight bulbs.

really simple..

You need to take the headlight unit out if its on the left hand side (due to power steering reservoir, if on the right hand side you can just about get to the cover to remove it...
If you need to remove the head lights .. it simple... 4 torque screws on the top.. undo and slide towards youself.... (place on something soft and remove the plastic cover and change bulb.. reinstall and tighten )

Thats all thats to it..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thaks Rickt for the advice - your way is probably the simplest, but only if you have the tool to remove the torques screws.
I had a multi head srewdriver set but none of the heads would fit these "torque screws"
Do you know if there a special tool? I've since had a look around Halford's tool section but couldn't find anything appropriate.

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
I just bought a set of cheap torques from WILKINSONS of all places.. (£3.99) to go into a multi purpose screwdriver... If you go to a really cheap kind of shop who sell cheap and rubish tools they always have them!! (i know there cheap but do the job if you dont put much load on them...

Also Argos have some cheap tool kits with them in...

I have just found these on Argos website... (remeber you can go into the store and buy there!!)

All the Torques you will ever need and a nice little tool kit all for a tenner!!

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7014202.htm

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
let us know how you get on!

also while you are on about headlights, i bought some XEON gas filled bulbs from Halfords.. the most expensive ones in the shop but they are wicked compared to the standard ones!!
Cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
Many thanks again - that Argos set looks an ideal set to keep in the boot for emergencies anyway.
Once the next bulb blows I'll let you know how I do.
Cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts