Audi Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, ive got an audi a4 2002 a4 1.9tdi that normally is fine, but in heavy rain now on two occasions, it loses power and stalls on me lots. The first time it happened, I assumed/was told it was the air flow mass meter and had it changed the next day, however that was 3 weeks ago and today my car was in the car park at work in heavy rain all day and upon start up displayed the same symptoms as last time where by it will stall out unless you totally floor it in first and second and its almost like there is a huge delay in any power getting to the engine...then the rev counter shoots up as the power gets there. about 15 mins into my troublesome journey home the rain went from heavy to a drizzel and everything went back to normal and the power was there again.

my theory is as this happened before during exactly the same weather, there must be a leak in one of the seals near the air intake and water is getting in there and choking the engine of oxygen. Whereabouts is the air intake and where should I look for a breach in the seals? in the short term I want to try and indentify the area and get some gaffer table round the leak untill I can get it looked it properly. any ideas?

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
are u running into alot of deep puddles, maybe your getting water in the engine

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nope. whatever water is messing with things is getting in around the bonnet (hood) area. anyone know which side the air intake is actually on?

·
Registered
2 Posts
we are having the same problem. the esp light comes on and the car stalls as soon as you slow down. the engine rpms go all over the place. the audi dealer has replaced the mass air flow sensor three times and now has replaced the wiring harness. hasn't helped. this is for a 2002 A4 3.0, very, very frustrating.

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
when the ESP light and traction light comes on and stalls normally been air mass sensor..

I problem i have with mine a while back was a split hose which was sucking in air and water which casued the same issues your having.. check all hoses before and after the air flow meter and listen for a sucking nose while the bonnet is open

The air intake is on the left hand side and has a air intake upto the grill (i think its there on the 1.9tdi)

full wiring harness seems a bit extreme but there must of been a reason behind it (hopefully on warrenty!)

Also it may be worth getting a copy of VAG-COM and running it while the issues are happening, or even now as all codes will be logged.

Where abouts you from iin the UK??

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
american cars sitting in the driver seat (LHD) its on the right.... if ur looking at the car its on the left

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would suggest that the problem may lay with your accelerator pedal . (seriously)

These are nothing more than potentiometers and they are prone to getting water entry through the bonnet cable grommet.
Remove the pedal which from memory are allen bolts and check the connector for corossion.

Let us know how you get on.

Fisheggs

1 - 7 of 7 Posts