Audi Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for reading this. I am in school and have no money to repair my car so Im hoping someone can help me.

I drove my car yesterday, everything was fine. I parked it and then I washed it. After washing it I drove it, there was no problems. I then parked it and cleaned the inside while listening to the stereo. I went inside and forgot about the stereo being on, which completely drained my battery. I tried having my dad use his car to "jump" my battery using jumper cables on the battery. My starter would crank, but the engine wouldn't "fire" or Turn On. Since, Ive charged the battery completey, and the starter cranks for as long as I turn the key, but the car wont start?? I have no idea what could be causing the problem? Everything was working fine when I parked the car to clean the inside? When the battery died did some kind of "code" get reset that manages ignition ablilities??

Im very greatful for your insight and time in my problem..

thank you

David

·
Registered
34 Posts
You might need to have the throttle re-adapted, I have had some body shop cars with similar issues where all was needed was the throttle valve readapted...dunno if this is your case...and I am assuming you didnt reverse the polarity when jumping or changing the battery. Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How do I go about getting the throttle "Re-adapted"? And what do you feel caused the the throttle to become un-adapted??

thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Does the yellow 'car' warning light on the dash stay flashing after the ignition is switched on? If so, it's probably the immobiliser. It happened to me after the battery became discharged. Even after full recharging, and trying both keys, I had to get the car towed to Audi, where they recoded both keys. Has happened once since, but the other key worked, and then, by magic, so did the first one. Audi could not pinpoint the exact fault, but I think it could be an intermittant problem with the reader-coil in the steering column (it reads the key coding & tells the electronics that everything's ok to let the engine fire - I think!)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok So I got it towed to Audi...

Luckily it wasnt my ECU, which I thought had been fried when I tried jumping the car with my dads escalade. Apparently my fuel pump magically went bad after the battery died so its being replaced at audi. They are charging me 350, do you all think thats a fair price? It seemed fair to me.

thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
if thats parts and labor, I assume its not that bad..depends on what their labor rate is and how many flat rate hours they charge you, and diag time...and how much they marked up the pump. I can do a fuel pump in about 20 min. in that car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had a similar problem with mine, a 1999 1.8 SE, test drove the car before i bought it and it was fine, battery died the day after i got delivery so replaced it then the car would onyl fire on 2 or 3 cylinders and was a nightmare...and all Id done was replade a battery.
Everyone siad I needed to re calibrate the throttle body alignment but that made no difference, turns out I needed a new Air mass flow meter and anew lambda sensor...a total of £300. Could nt believe it, was gutted! they couldnt have just 'gone' over night.

The only plausible reasoning Ive had so far is that as the engine works, it learns and adapts to its environment. stands to reason. If there is a small fault, say withthe air/fuel ratio, the engine learns to adapt to this.

Replace the battery and it wipes everything it has learnt and finds a big fault, thus switching into a 'get you home mode', or dies . In your case, perhaps the fuel pump was dodgy, the ecu adapted to deal with the once small problem, then when you did the battery it lost everything it had learnt and went errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....????? :huh: :unsure: :wacko: :crying:

Just a thought, dont know how true it is, but might help in justifying a seemingly pointless waste of pay check :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts