Audi Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 1998 A4, but only got one remote key fob and no plastic tag with code.

I want to get a spare, whats the easiest way to obtain one?

Will a three button fob work?
How do I get the part number?
Who will be able to cut the blade key? I'm told some shoe repairers or locksmiths may be able to do it?

and finally can I program it myself? and how?

Any advice would be appreciated, even if its go to the dealer if thats the best option and pay lots of money.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Originally posted by hobgoblin@Dec 14 2005, 04:59 AM
Any advice would be appreciated, even if its go to the dealer if thats the best option and pay lots of money.
Two options-

Send the car to the dealer to verify with Audi Germany the immobilizer no (based on records kept by Audi Germany). Will take a lot of time, and is only possible if the records are available (sometimes they are not, especially for locally assembled cars in some countries).

Alternatively, pay the dealer a lot of money for replacing the whole keyless entry system.

Some lock experts are able to cut and reprogram new keys (just the keys, not the remote). Outside Audi, no one could make a new remote for you, even Audi can't do that without matching records with correct barcode tag (which you don't have).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Q: How do I reprogram the remote control?
A: 1. Take the valet key, put it into the ignition and turn the key to the "on" position, just prior to starting the car. (You can use one of the regular keys if youy dont have the valet key)

2. Roll down the driver's side window (not required, but a good idea in case there's a problem).

3. Exit the car and close the door.

4. With a second key, physically lock the doors (don't use a remote).

5. Take the first remote to be programmed, press one of the buttons and the lights will flash once. Wait 10 seconds and press the unlock button. The doors should unlock. That first transmitter is now programmed.

6. Lock the door again (physically) with the key, (not the remote).

7. Press one of the buttons twice, the lights will flash twice. Wait 10 seconds and press the unlock button. The doors should unlock. The second transmitter is now programmed.

For a third transmitter press the button 3 times and for a fourth press 4 times.

Paul ads: "Make sure that to test the newly program remotes, the original key is removed from the ignition. Someone might be a bit frustrated trying to test it with it still in 'program' mode." - 2/6/2004

This works for some people, but some people it doesnt-not sure why

1 - 3 of 3 Posts