Audi Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to get hold of a complete camshaft kit to fit a 1994 A6/100 2.5 inline 5 Tdi but having no luck other than to pay Audi's "ski high" prices.
Does anyone know where I could get hold of one(in the U.K)? other than go to Audi?
Many Thanks Chris. :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
You have to find used camshafts. The new ones are only OEM and very expensive. I am having the same problem on my V6 TDI, two camshafts have gone and I am looking to find some used ones in a junkyard. I can't really afford $700+ for two new camshafts and some valves.

·
Registered
144 Posts
My mechanic said that it would be best to get the entire cylinder head with camshafts and valves, as some of my valves got bent when the camshafts seized, and who knows what else is broken. Today I bought a used cylinder head from a junkyard, it was looking really good. They said it has very low kilometers, and the engine indeed looked like that.

Can't wait to put it on. Still have to order a gasket. The cylinder head was 650 euros, the gasket will be some 25 more. I know, it's a hole in the pocket, but if I were to buy everything new, with all the valves, springs, hydraulic adjusters and who knows what else, of course everything OEM, the figures would have been double.

I have only one question left. Why did the camshafts seize? Timing belt has some 30,000 kms, belt is adjusted correctly, oil's new. I see no reason. Are these supposed to last only 200,000 kms? Because in an A4 1.8 20v I had previously owned, they also seized after 200,000. Is this poor manufacturing from Audi suppliers? I guess I'll never know. :(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts