Audi Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I’m going to take 2.0 Sport TDi tomorrow. Can anyone please advise me on what fuel should i be using in it? The nearest fule station is Tesco where I live, do you guys think that gonna be okay? I really appreciate if anyone out here drops me a line; I just don’t wanna screw up the engine from the very beginning.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Mac,

Right, the supermarket fuel debate...this could go on for a while!

Tesco are supplied by Esso and Sainsburys by Shell. I think if you are going to fuel at any supermarket these should be your choice. Tesco seem pretty commited to clean and efficient fuels. A friend of mine owns a porsche race team and uses their new 99 octane petrol! That's a higher octane than optimax! He swears by it, reckons he gets much better performance from it than any of the other premium brands! Apparently a percentage of this is bioethanol (a much greener alternative), this shows commitment to fuel quality and the environment to me, which is against the "never buy from supermarkets" arguement!

What Tesco fuel is certainly not going to do is screw up your engine!

I'm not sure of the origin or quality of Morrisons or Asda fuel, I generally avoid these!

Hope this helps,

Cheers

Robbie

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
I tend to use Sainsburys..... (not just for the nectar points!!) Tesco only have Unleaded 95 ron where i am so dont bother with that and after filling up with ASDA fuel the car alwats feels sluggish...

I hear BP Super unleaded and new Deisel is ok....

Cheers

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your comments, Robbie & Rick.

A stupid question (maybe): How many types of diesel available (like petrol i.e. Unleaded 95…blah …blah…..) or is there any at all? I don’t have any idea - I never drove a diesel car before. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Guys,

Yeah I tried the BP one in a hire car I had and I didn't really notice that much difference. However, perhaps in a chipped motor you may notice a substantial difference as the new ignition maps are designed to run around better quality fuels but I'm not 100% on this. But the whole point of diesel being economy it seems kinda weird paying extra??

Basically there are 3 types of diesel I can think of.

Normal

Low Sulphur

Premium (BP and Shell)

Biodiesel (either full Bio ie vegetable oil or where a percentage of Bio Ethanol is added to the fuel)

Cheers

Robbie

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am halfway down my 1st tank of BP Ultimate derv and I am impressed with the extra response in performance over the regular stuff. Most noticeable is the extra
torque and less gearchanging. Improved acceleration is also worth a mention.

I did get 53 mpg on each of the first two tankfulls of the other stuff and I am going to topup this morning with Ultimate as the news on the rising price of oil worldwide is telling me to. The price per ltr. for Ultimate this past week seems to be £100.9 avg. which is about 5p more than the regular stuff.

Hope this helps.

dave3dg

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi, I've receintly got a 2.0TI DSG and use the Asda Diesel. Having previously driven an A2 TDi for a year on the Asda Diesel, I have never had any issues with it. But as you can guess by the cars I drive, performance is not an issue for me, although economy is . I managed an average of 60mpg from the A2 and I'm averaging 55mpg from the A3 (the DSG Gearbox being mainly responsible for the economy). The A3 has just passed it's first 1k without any loss of oil - the A2 was a little thirsty that way.

Macusers: Enjoying your new A3? It's a great drive isn't it?

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
Just wanted to add i use BP ultimate diesel in my big iveco turbo diesel work van and it makes it move a lot quicker especially when pulling up hills as before on normal diesel i had to change down gears on the same stretch of road.

Just like super unleaded petrol it does make a difference if you want better performance. :grin:

·
Registered
18 Posts
BP Ultimate is a bit pricey @ £103.75 what I paid today and that is 9p dearer than the cheapest derv in my area.

It must ring the ECU re-map bell as you can get more performance with that on the ordinary derv. Economics????

dave3dg

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by woodhamd@Apr 22 2006, 11:28 AM
Macusers: Enjoying your new A3? It's a great drive isn't it?
Certainly it is. I just completed 8K, last week I think, and it's great so far..... I really enjoy the driving.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've been using either Shell or Tesco diesel on both my A3's and it's never been a problem in the past 3 years. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts