Audi Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

just came across this forum and I would need your advice regarding my 1999 A4 1.8t which I bought 2 monts ago.

Recently my oil light came on and when I had it checked out by the independent car dealership where I bought the car, they said that the oil sensor failed and replaced it. The car was then driving fine and both the oil and engine temparature gauges stayed low. After about 180 miles the light came on again. This time I brought it to an AUdi dealership and the engine was diagnosed as a write-off due to oil sludge. I wonder if nothing can be done to repair the engine as it was still driving to the dealership. Enclosed is a picture from an engine part, I believe it has something to do with the camshaft and the mechanic said that it as to be completely smooth. As the top have is rough and dirty the dealer came to the conclusion that the engine is gone..

Please let me know you thought....

Kind regards

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
i heard oil sludge can damage an engine, but it wouldnt do a write offs worth of damage. your car is worth at least £3500 private. a new a4 1.8 engine is upwards of £1200. i saw an audi a4 380bhp engine on wbay which sold for £1800 - 35k miles.

id say get an AA mechanic to have a look at the engine. i think more should be done to confirm your car is a write off.

·
Registered
186 Posts
This has come up a few times before. Go check out Audi USA for tech bulletins regarding oil sludge on 1.8Ts and/or talk to your local dealer. If I'm not mistaken, there has been a voluntary recall by Audi on 1.8T engine failures due to oil sludge.
In the future, Audi recommend you use synth oil in these ebgines to avoid sludge build up.

Good luck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sorry to here, sounds like it's going to be a costly one to resolve.

Oil sludge has proven to be a problem in VAG 1.8T's, particularly when incorrect oil grades are used. If buying a used 1.8T, one needs to check the timing belt has been done or do it, and desludge the engine/oil pickup/pump/sump. Here is a procedure I recently saw that might be useful:

http://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/2449777.phtml

1 - 4 of 4 Posts