Audi Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I'm buying a 98 a4 1.8T tomorrow from a dealer and I just started to get kind of worried when I saw all the postings about timing belts breaking. I ran the carfax, with almost no info coming from it, and the car has 100,000 miles on it. The dealer doesn't know whether or not the timing belt was replaced, so I'm wondering what is the possibility that the original one is in there? I've heard of them breaking much earlier, so maybe it was replaced, but I'm wondering about the frequency of original belts still remaining in cars with this high mileage.

The slightly comforting factor is that there is a 3-month/5000 mile warranty on the car for 100% coverage of the engine.

Thanks for any info!

-N

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
Has the car been serviced by Audi or independants?If its Audi they should have a record of it on the pc.
On the 1.8 t b6 model the recommended belt change is at 115000 miles beleive it or not but am not sure about the b5.Even though this is the stated mileage in the service book for replacement Audi have said it would be better to get it changed every 80k or 3 years whichever comes first as once the car is over the 3 year manufacturers warranty they probably wouldnt cover the cost if it broke.
Have you asked the dealer your buying it off if they will change it for peace of mind before purchase?A lot of good dealers here in the uk that use there own mechanics will do this as the belt is cheap and its more of a case of labour time that costs in the replacemnt.

·
Registered
50 Posts
In my opinion i would change the belt just in case cause say it does break cause you didnt want to replace it . now you have to fix about 3000$ in damage on the engine..

engine or timing belt you choose :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts