Audi Forums banner

1997 Audi A4 1.8

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Akie71 
#1 ·

I am considering buying a 1997 Audi A4 1.8 non-turbo, travelled 41,000kms. The body and build are without fault and I really like the look, but am concerned at the high-revving, 3000RPM, when travelling at 100kph.
It is the best condition Audi I have seen so would be hard to turn down if that is not considered to be a problem.

#2 ·
I've had a 1997 A4 for a year now. It runs well, but loses oil at a rate of about 1 qt. per 1,000 miles, and I recently had to take the car in for a new ignition beause something broke in the old one. They had to get the part from Germany. 2.5 weeks and $537 later, I got my car back. It's a quirky car and expensive to maintain, but fun to drive and I'm sure i look great in it.

#3 ·
Originally posted by Twinkles@Aug 16 2004, 08:39 PM

I am considering buying a 1997 Audi A4 1.8 non-turbo, travelled 41,000kms. The body and build are without fault and I really like the look, but am concerned at the high-revving, 3000RPM, when travelling at 100kph.
It is the best condition Audi I have seen so would be hard to turn down if that is not considered to be a problem.

Hello there,

I'm not a Audi user but have frens who owned the same model that you are looking at. Their complaints at that time was unreliable gearbox (some failed within 25,000Km!), up & lower link arms are expensive when replaced and they do not last very long!.

Apparently, this only happens to the Non-Turbo!!

These are the 2 major worries!

I'm actually considering a new 2004 Audi A4 1.8T now and have been asking around to be sure before I place my bookings.

I hope I do answer yr question.

Gud luck.

BH Loy

#4 ·
Twinkle,
Take precaution when a 7 yrs car only run 41,000KM. Do check the service record if previously service by authorised dealer.
Put a side some money, said 10% of your buying price for tear & wear parts replace. It should be pleasure* car to own. Bear in mind, parts are no cheap.
Throttle valve service + tuning will give you better revving action.
Myself also attracted by the handsome look of A4 and crack my head to own it.
If you are from Malaysia, do visit Autoworld to meet CAM there, they provide better local information.
Ciao.

#5 ·
I own A4 NA 1996 model since last 2 years and now the mileage is 249010 km. So far there is no major problem except the driveshaft at the left front wheel which I changed 4 months ago and cost me USD126. But one thing, I surely do the necessary maintenance like changing gear oil, timing belt etc on schedule. I really enjoy driving this car and hope can use it for another 5 years maybe. :D

Akie71

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.