Audi Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

In recent months I have had a lot of trouble with the heater/climate control on my Audi A4. Firstly, the heater motor stopped working. It would start off blowing okay and then get weaker and weaker until it stopped completely. This was resolved by fitting an expensive new motor (cost £224.00 plus fitting plus VAT). I have since found out that this motor can be purchased new on eBay for about £140.00 all in.

Next, the heater motor got stuck blowing full on, and I could only stop it by removing the fuse. The buttons on the climate control unit seemed to be working fine, but had no response. I was told that the main climate control unit needed changing (Audi quoted £520.15 for the unit and £115.15 for fitting both including VAT). A few days later I put the fuse back in tapped the front of the LED's on the climate control, and behold, the heater blower began working properly again. I thought this might be due to a dry joint, but I think now it was pure fluke.

Anyway, I manged to find a second hand climate control unit in excellent condition via an Internet scrap yard search engine (£41.00 including delivery and VAT) and I had this fitted when I last had my car serviced.

Now for the current problems:

1. When I got the car back from service everything was working fine, but when my lights are off the climate control is very dimm, and when my lights are on the climate control is really bright. This is the wrong way round! I have had to turn my instrument panel dimmer control to a minimum as the climate control LED's are so bright at night. I have a full list of the special hidden diagnostic codes that can be shown on the climate control display, but there is no mention on how or if this can be changed. Otherwise the replacement control unit must be faulty?

2. After leaving the car overnight, I started the engine and found that the heater motor was stuck on again (with the replacement climate control fitted). After 24 hours or so, the fault cleared again. This must indicate that the fault was elsewhere on the system, but where?

3. If I could swap parts about I could try and establish what was happening, but I can not get the dash board enclosure out. Does any one have any instructions for removal of the dash board on a 1997 Audi A4? I found some information on the forum, but this was for a completely different style.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers for now

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got a similair problem, blower stopped working, then stuck on full then stopped completely.

Just changed motor, works again but still stuck on full!

I was wondering if the advice below had helped? Seems reasonable to me.

Thanks

Gary

1 - 4 of 4 Posts